94 Merc Jet Drive

tahammes

Seaman
I purchased a 94 merc 45 HP with a jet Drive. Can I take that off and install a regular lower unit?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 94 Merc Jet Drive

yes<br /> you will need to remove the jet adapter if applicable, and use the lower unit attaching bolts. make sure the original shift linkage for the outboard is all still in place and shift the shifter cable at a minimum.<br /> you will also have to lower the motor about 5 inches or use a 5 inch longer shaft than the motor originally had.<br /> in any case the lower unit will have to have the cavitation plate level with the hull plus or minus about 1 inch.<br /> I have several commercial guys that I shift from jet to prop and back twice a year or so.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 94 Merc Jet Drive

What Rodbolt said. Also, I don't know if this applies to Merc, but... I have a Johnson with a jet unit (I also own the prop lower unit, but haven't changed it yet). I have a Seloc manual for that engine and it actually covers the jet unit as well, and has directions how to change over. You might check the Seloc manual for that engine and see if it has any jet/prop conversion info.