94 Evinrude 25 hp coughing just above idol

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just had the carb rebuilt on my evinrude. It was having problems when trying to accelerate before the rebuild but idled fine. I had it done by a professional and reputable shop in my area. It now coughs at just above an idol and I dont remember it doing that before. I only ran the motor twice befor I had it rebuilt. It idles fine and takes off runs at higher speeds fine, its just a very small window just above idol, about the speed I like to load the boat on the trailor that it coughs. I had the guy check it out again and he test drove it and said he has it as good as it will get. Something about the butterfly is opening too soon for not having more fuel added to the mix. He said I should just give it a bit more gas.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 94 Evinrude 25 hp coughing just above idol

Try adjusting the idle mix 1/4-1/2 turn out and check that the carb is not opening too early at the cam.

MJS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try adjusting the idle mix 1/4-1/2 turn out and check that the carb is not opening too early at the cam.

I can do idle mix. Can you explain the second suggestion?

Haffiman

Commander

Loosen the screw for the roller on the carb. Slowly increase throttle (engine not running) until the roller align with the marks on the ignition cam, then tighten the screw. Carb should start to open just as roller pass the marks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you paid him any money to fix it, which I think you did, take it back to to him and tell him to fix it until it's right. I get really pissed off everytime I hear about the bad techs out there. And tell him to fix it FOC !!