94 21' Proline with outboard Bracket

leisjohn

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning everyone I have a question for you. I'm redoing a 94 Proline 21' and I'm thinking of installing an engine bracket. My question is, How much engine bounce will the bracket cause when trailering it down the road and is there a way to eliminate the bounce.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: 94 21' Proline with outboard Bracket

A jack plate or engine bracket should not cause more bounce of the engine.
A good transom saver attached to the trailer frame and a good set of transom straps and it should be fine.You want the boat and trailer to be one secure unit when trailering...no bounce of the boat from the trailer.

leisjohn

Seaman Apprentice

OK I understand that. I was afraid that with the engine bracket setback 28" it would bounce. Don't want to put undo stress on the transom.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thats a lot of setback. I think if the transom is in good shape and everything is secure while on the trailer it will be ok.
There are a ton of boats with transom brackets running around.
The more setback the more stress.
Whats the advantage of that much setback? I thought about a 12 inch on mine and was wondering about performance.

leisjohn

Seaman Apprentice

Gary, the large setback allows a large engine to tilt back all the way. I have a Johnson 200 on the boat now. I would love to find a bracket with about 15-18" setback, but that is considered custom and the price jumps to about $1800. where I can get this one for $700. The transom is a full 3" thick and I think it will be OK just looking for a way to reduce stress. I guess I could build a custom transom saver of sorts and that may help in the reduction of stress. What do you think?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

At least a support for trailering.Have you looked at the jackplates that are 12 inch setback? If that would be enough they have them that are fully adjustable.
Look at these,http://www.bobsmachine.com/

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Please verify the condition of the transom and check with the manufacturer of you boat to see if is even recommended for your application. The only bounce you will get would be from the transom flexing which of course you do not want. If you do install, I highly suggest a pair of aluminum transom "stringers" to spread the stress along the total width.

leisjohn

Seaman Apprentice

Transom is in great shape sturdy & dry. No give at all. Pro-line will not comment since brackets were not an option for this boat when built. I think I might scratch the bracket and spend the $ on trim tabs. Less labor intensive also.