'94 200HP overheat at idle

dengle

Cadet
Engine running on hose and ear-muffs, at idle only. First, the pisser was a no-show. Engine overheat warning happened in a few minutes. We shut it down, let it cool down, made sure the pisser line was not clogged, fired it back up on muffs. This time after about 30 seconds we got the pisser stream but nothing strong like it normally is. Just a steady stream. The alarm sounded in about 1 minute of run time. We shut it down again and now its time to fix it.

What should we take apart first? Poppet, or lower unit to get to the impeller? Thermostats last?

Last edited:

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: '94 200HP overheat at idle

put in tank and try it somtimes the muffs dont give a true indication.

dengle

Cadet

Tank didnt do it. It was the impeller. The old one looked fine but the new one worked like a champ.

Monkaroo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's odd , I would think the old impeller would show signs of wear if it wasn't doing it's job . I had a friend who was having a simular problem . He did a lot of trial and error fixes before he found out he had a bad sensor all along .

dengle

Cadet

Still not sure what the deal was but its doing great with the new impeller. I kept the old one and I still cannot see anything wrong with it. Oh well. It was a cheap fix.