'93 40HP Evinrude

Normandy

Cadet
:) I noticed while winterizing my motor that the fuel filter on the motor was only about half full. Motor was hard to start and to keep running, but I finally struggled through it. My question, is this normal for fuel filter to not be full of fuel and if not what is the problem? Appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.

ob

Admiral
Re: '93 40HP Evinrude

Normandy , If you think you are experiencing fuel flow problems you can check the following:<br />1-pick-up tube in fuel tank<br />2-anti syphon valve on fuel tank hose fitting<br />3-insure tank vent is open and clear<br />4-fuel filter itself may be restricted <br />5-check for fuel leaks and or air leaks on hose from tank to carbs.<br /><br />These fuel filters are generally located above fuel source on outboard motor set-ups and fuel will frequently run out of them when stored.Hence the need to prime fuel system before starting.

Normandy

Cadet

Thanks ob, I tend to believe I'm pulling air in somewhere because it is hard to prime and won't hold prime. I didn't have this problem until after I replaced primer bulb and hose. Thought since fuel filter was only half full that it was possibly bleeding off.<br />Normandy :)

ob

Admiral

Will primer bulb get hard when initially priming or does it seem to be flowing through carb bowls?

Normandy

Cadet

Bulb will get hard after squeezing it several times, but will not remain that way once motor has started. When I replaced the hose and bulb I think I made the mistake of getting a bulb with vinyl hose. What size rubber hose should one use for primer bulb? Could this be the problem?<br />Thanks again. :)

ob

Admiral

There are different sizes of hose available.5/16 should be adequate for your engine.Have heard of several cases where people were displeased with some of the primer bulbs available on the aftermarket.When it comes to fuel lines and fittings I recommend obtaining good quality ones from a dealership or product specific outlet.

Normandy

Cadet

Thanks ob. I will purchase new bulb and hose from an OMC dealer. Tried to save a few miles and a few dollars and ended up with a big headache. Will have to wait until spring to do this as temps are very cold here. Have a nice evening. :) :)