'93 200hp Won't Shut Off / Tests all negative?

fishweed

Seaman
I have a 1993 Johnson 200, modle VJ200STLETF.<br />I replaced the powerhead over the winter and now have 8 hour of break-in time on this motor. The powerhead was replaced because of a failed oil delivery issue that is now resolved. <br />Since replacement, the motor has failed to totally shut down when the switch or even the safety lanyard is pulled. The motor, when cold or hot, sputters and spits like it is dieseling, and will only die if I flood it out with the primer switch. Other than this, the motor has performed flawless at all levels.<br />The motor was timed/sink/linked by a Pro and all the tests I have run with an OHM meter have turned up negative. I have replaced the switch out of desperation, but with no change. I am ready to re-do the trouble shooting with your help please, so that I can find out what step I have obviously missed.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: '93 200hp Won't Shut Off / Tests all negative?

When the ignition switch is turned to off, or the lanyard pulled, the powerpack is grounded through the black & yellow wire. Usually, tracing that wire from the ignition to the power pack will disclose the problem.

fishweed

Seaman

I just finished testing all ends of the ground and kill(black/yellow) wires from the switch to the power pack.<br />The only time I got any resistance on the OHM meter was in the connection between where the black/yellow wire connects with an orange/black wire under the power pack. I have taken the cover off this connection and found a diode in part of this connection and it has tested as the source of the resistance. This diode tests at around 4 OHMS and tests to infinity when the polls are switched. Could this diode be the problem or do I need to keep looking?

DHPMARINE

Captain

I question that black/yellow to orange/black connection,but don't have a manual here.Sounds like only half the engine is shutting down.<br /><br />Just doesn't sound right.<br /><br />DHP

Walker

Captain

Check the pin connectors in the main harness plug and the wiring plugs to your power packs. I bet one of them is bent and not mating with the female side of the plug.

fishweed

Seaman

I have checked the main engine plug(big red one) and it is fine. I am using it now to test all connections from this plug to the power pack.<br /><br />DHP, You are correct in that the engine sounds like only half the system is going to ground when the switch is cut off.

fishweed

Seaman

I have just re-studied the manual and all tests are showing that the wire harness is good. The diode that I am concerned about seems to also test good, if 4 OHMS vs. very high OHMS at polarity switch is normal.<br />With it acting like only half the system is grounded at cut off, could it be the power pack????????<br />I sure hate to throw that kind of $$$ at this problem to find out.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Looking at the wiring diagram for that model you have a black/yellow wire from the shift interrupter and the black/orange from the powerpack connected together and then connected to a diode - the other end of which goes to the black yellow from the power pack which then goes directly to the keyswitch. With the keyswitch in the off position you should measure close enough to zero ohms between the black/yellow wire from the powerpack and ground.<br /><br />The black/orange wire kills the fire on one cylinder bank when the shift interrupter switch is closed. The diode prevents this also killing the other bank. When the keyswitch is off the black /yellow wire is directly grounded while the black/orange wire is grounded through the diode. Sounds like the black/orange wire isn't being grounded through the diode when the keyswitch is off - hence one bank isn't being turned off. Could be the diode or maybe a broken connection in the black orange wire or connectors (in the latter case you may not notice that your shift interrupter is not working either).<br /><br />You could try directly grounding the black/orange wire (as close as possible to the powerpack) when the keyswitch is off and the motor is running on. If this kills the motor suspect either the diode or a bad connection in that black/orange wire somewhere. Shorting across the diode with a wire jumper should do the same thing - shouldn't hurt the diode.<br /><br />You can check the diode by disconnecting one end of it and testing ohms with meter leads one way around and then reversing the leads. Should get a very high (infinite) reading one way and a low reading in the other.<br /><br />Hope you can understand all this. Good luck.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The interrupt is either disconnected, disabled or bad, I think. Got some home issues, got to sign off.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />web page

fishweed

Seaman

I have been up half the night testing and muttering ugly words to myself. The wire harness is testing good all the way. The interupter switch was NOT working. I wiggled and worked the switch untill it started to work properly. I guess 13 years of crud got knocked loose when I did the powerhead swap.<br />I plan on waking the fish up later this morning. If you feel a strong disturbance in the force at around 9:30 EST, no worries. That is just me having a fit because it still won't shut off. :(

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

The starboard bank should still shut down even if the shift interrupter switch is permanently open circuit (in fact when I just checked mine I found that it was disconnected and I didn't even know!). If the switch is permanently closed then that bank won't fire at all.<br /><br />Seems like that black/orange wire into the powerpack isn't being grounded when the switch is off. Of course it could also be the yellow/black wire into the powerpack that isn't being grounded and it is the port bank that isn't being shut down. A spark check when it refuses to turn off would confirm which bank it is. Maybe a bad connector in that yellow black wire somewhere.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I don't have the wiring diagram for that 1993 200hp Johnson. If someone would be kind enough to email it to me so that I could study it, I'd appreciate it (address below).<br /><br />The single black yellow wire from the switch usually changes to double black/yellow wires at the large RED electrical plug.<br /><br />It sounds to me that one of those double wires is either connected to the wrong rubber plug terminal, is broken, or the powerpack is faulty. Since the pack and shutdown procedure worked prior to replacing the powerhead, it's unlikely the powerpack is at fault.

fishweed

Seaman

The drinks are on me Fellows!!!! :D <br /><br />I don't know what did it but the thing ran and shut off perfectly today. I never thought I would be happy to hear a motor not run! I even had a great day of fishing. I need to go buy a lotto ticket tonight!<br />I have no idea what finally did it except that the shift interupter switch was not working and I also found a recirculation hose that was intefering with the shift interupter switch linkage. Once this was corrected, all went well.<br /><br />Thanks to you all!!!!!