93 115 Johnson rebuilt no more than 2500 rpm

barrrj

Seaman
I recently had the powerhead on my 93 115 johson rebuilt due to the 1cylinder being bad. Block bored out and four new pistons installed etc. The motor starts better and idles great. I was doing the breakin procedure on my 93 Four Winns F/s. I could not get the motor to go over 2500 rpm. Once the throttle was all the way down it would only do about 2500rpm, and when i backed off it would usually stall out. I have been varying the throttle like the manual says for breaking, running double oil. Any suggestions on where to go from here. I would appreciate it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 93 115 Johnson rebuilt no more than 2500 rpm

Usually after an overhaul you need to do a sync and link on the carbs/ignition system. Also, possible the carbs are not opening fully. Visually check to make sure the carb butterflys are absolutely flat (full open) then the throttle handle is in full forward position. Insure the link arm is dragging the timer base forward and back properly (part of sync and link.) The idle may be too low-it should be between 650-750 rpm, set when in gear, idling while floating in the lake.

barrrj

Seaman

Mechanic told me the link and sync was performed. Any other ideas? He had the engine for 3months :( yeah, june july august before i got hte boat back.

petryshyn

Commander

If all else checks normal, (spark, timing, compression, fuel) pull a spark plug and check the piston orientation with a small flashlite. They may be installed 180 deg out.

barrrj

Seaman

thanks guys will look into all those options

barrrj

Seaman

well, the frustration from the weekend and the boat not running right wore off, so popped the engine cover to look at it. Lo and behold the #4 cylinder coil wire had popped off. Connected and she fired right up not hesitation whatso ever, now to take it to the lake tomorrow so see how she runs.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Keep an eye on the plugwire on that cyl. Sometimes the cowling latch will snag the wire and knock it off the plug when you are reinstalling the cowling. Make sure the plug wires are held in place by the factory wire holders on the heads.