92 Rude 70 dies when put in gear at low idle

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fuel was treated with stabil before last use but thought it was going back on lake before season was over but best laid plans....work kept me out of town for nearly two months...forgot about it till january when it woke me from a sound sleep....no winterization had been done ...boat is in heated garge though.....what should i do and what should i expect before running her anymore this year.... :confused:

fireman57

Captain
Re: 92 Rude 70 dies when put in gear at low idle

Was it run with Stabil in it so it got treated fuel into the carbs? I would take it out and use it paying attention to a possible overheat problem due to older water pump. Your topic says one thing but you do not really ask about this problem in your text. Have you had it out already and this problem developed?

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had it out and it showed this issue....seems to run okay when you get it moving....say 5+mph..... not over heating...but at idle through it in gear and it will die....unless you get it gear and get it going to at least 2000 rpm then back it off which i'm not wanting to do.....i've seafoamed it and still doing same...could the idle jets have some varnish ???? and the Stabil was run into the carbs.....

fireman57

Captain

Sounds like you have some crap in a low idle jet in the carb. While you're in there just rebuild them and make sure that all passages are blown out with air.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ordering maunal.....which is better cylmer or selco. should i need new floats..? couldn't hurt I guess. What parts should i replace.....

D

DJ

It only takes a problem with one of the three carbs. to cause what you are describing.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

Personal preference I think between clymer and seloc...pretty similar. Best manuals are the orginal factory OMC ones. Available from a few different places...do a search on manuals and I'm sure you find a few links.<br /><br />As for carb parts to replace...just go buy the appropriate carb kits from any dealer. Will have new gaskets, floats, need valves, etc. You might as well make everything new while you've got it apart.<br /><br />Good luck!

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help so far...couldn't locate OMC manual....so i went with cylmer...ordered three carbs kits at the same time with floats....what i was able to find for carb kits was serria..hope they are okay not being OMC...