92 Johnson 200 GT - Loss of Power

Cadet
Went to the lake for a long weekend. Motor ran fine on Friday and Saturday. On Sunday morning, I was running low on fuel in one of the tanks(boat has 2 tanks), so I switched to tank #2. After running about a mile or so, the motor completely lost power and died. I checked the fuel bulb(had pressure), Checked Oil, had plenty. The motor started after 2 tries, but would not get the boat on plane. At 4000rpm the boat go would approx. 20mph. Normally, running at 4krpm, the boat would go around 40-45mph. Went back to camp and changed sparkplugs. After that, the motor ran real close to normal. Planed out OK, maybe a little slower getting there, but things seemed OK. I ran the boat for about 1.5hrs(half the time with a kneeboarder behind it)after the plugs were changed, then when I was idling back into the dock, the motor started to Spit and sputter occasionally. The motor sounded Ok, but was a little louder and slightly rough sounding. The motor would started normally numerous times.<br /><br />I have taken the boat back to the dealer where I purchased it and I was told the problem could possibly be 2 dropped cylinders. <br /><br />Other details:<br /><br />The gas in both tanks was purchased from the same place as usual on the way to the lake.<br /><br />The motor has had all of its normal maintenance throughout its life.<br /><br />I have never had the motor over 5500rpm's (approx. 55mph)<br /><br />Any ideas????<br /><br />If it has dropped 2 cylinders, how does this happen to a motor and how costly is it to fix?

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 92 Johnson 200 GT - Loss of Power

Did you do a compression test on the motor? Check the plugs to see if they are fouled! Make sure the oil injection pump is working properly

Cadet

The tech has done a compression test and told me 2 cylinders were alittle low. When I replaced the plugs, three of them looked fouled, but the other 3 looked fairly normal. <br /><br />The oil injector seemed to be working due to the smoke being released upon starting and after putting the boat on the trailer, I checked the oil tank and some had been used.<br /><br />It did seem to use more gas than normal.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't believe in coincidence...my bet is that it had to do with that second tank. Could you have gotten water in it or alot of condensation? What do think S.T. :(

Cadet

The boat has a heavy canvas cover(also covers the motor) that is almost always on it when it is not being used. Although saturday morning, (without the cover on it) it rained pretty good and I normally tighten the gas caps good and tight but I cannot be sure it was. <br /><br />I truly feel like the place I purchased it from is trying to take me for a few thousand.

clanton

Rear Admiral

What are the compression numbers, and which 3 sparkplugs looked bad. Check shift switch if plugs looked bad on cylinder 1,3,5.

Cadet

The tech would not tell me any compression numbers.<br /><br />I not sure which cylinders they were but, if you were standing behind the motor, the 3 plugs on the right are the ones that looked fouled.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If your mechanic would not give you the compression numbers, that you paid labor for him to check. Time to change mechanics. The 3 cylinders on the right as you said in your post are connected to the shift switch. If the shift switch is shorted or sticking it will kill the spark to the 3 cylinders. May not be you problem, but worth checking. Compression should be at least 100 psi, 115 would be better, no more then 10/15 psi between cylinders.

Cadet

Thanks for everyone's help. I changing tech's today.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you live close to Little Rock, there use to be a man Jerry that had a place on the river next to one of the bridges between Little Rock and North Little Rock, building was 2 story brick, shop on first floor. If he is still living, he could put you in contact with good tech. This was in 1968/70/

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

id get a compression tester and get your own numbers..

Cadet

I've taken it to another tech here in town. The orginial tech had taken the head off, so the new one hasn't done a compression test yet, but problems have already been found.<br /><br />Bottom left piston head is badly burned from pre-ignition, so is the head cover underneath.<br /><br />Middle cylinder on the right has a slight groove in it.<br /><br />New tech estimated $3000 to repair. He also gave me some good advice when buying a boat.<br /><br />Do a compression test first, then inspect the gear lube in the lower unit for pieces of metal.<br /><br />There seems to be some much damage and the way the people acted at the boat dealer makes me think they knew it had damage and I was the sucker who they sold it to. Not one person at the dealership attempted to explain what was wrong as I was picking the boat up today. Even while the owner was standing with me waiting for the tech to bring the boat around didn't mention anything. The lady(owners wife) who checked my boat back to me would not even look me in the eye. The could not even find the document that the techs fill out when they do their tests.<br /><br />In short --- I got screwed and am paying for it now! It Sucks, but doesn't dampen my desire to go boating.<br /><br />Probably not any legal recourse, but I will check with my attorney on Monday.

joe Hetz

Cadet

Get in touch with your Finance co. or bank that you bought the boat through and if that Marina wants to do business withthat firm again they will make it right.

Cadet

I bought the boat and motor June 15th 2002. The package is a one owner(local doctor) 92 Stratos 290SF w/ the 92 Johnson 200 GT. <br /><br />I've also have a very reliable 14ft flatbottom my grandfather bought in 1954 equiped w/ a Minn Kota 24# thrust. Its a fish catching machine named Stup Jumper.<br /><br />Told one of my uncles about the repair bill. He told me I need to put a Hotdog stand on the back, so I can make some of my money back. I suggested a Lemonade Stand. I think a cool drink would sell better at the lake.

Cadet

Thanks Joe Hertz, I didn't even think of that angle. <br /><br />The bank that financed the boat was the same one the dealer recommended. I have already done a bunch of business with them. Multiple cars/trucks and a four-wheeler. Juli(loan officer) will be very interested in hearing about my situation.<br /><br />I am not mad at the dealership, but its one of those situations that make me wonder about the other customers.