92' Four Winns Freedom I/O Trouble!

KevOLikesBoating

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a 92 Four Winns Freedom I/O that I've just had summerized. It's got the 4.3L V6 OMC Cobra.

Here's the problem I'm having. The boat goes in gear, both reverse and forward while on the trailer at the boat ramp. Also, went in gear fine at the mechanic's shop. Took it out on the lake, it will go in reverse, but to get in gear going forward we had to push the throttle almost all the way down before it will finally "catch" and kind of jolt forward. It will rev up for a bit until it finally catches.

Mechanic put a new prop on after taking a look at our hub, took it back out on the lake.. same thing. The mechanic checked the shift linkage, etc in the engine bay and nothing appeared out of place or loose.

Any ideas? I'll be glad to answer any further questions anyone has.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 92' Four Winns Freedom I/O Trouble!

The shift cable is out of adjustment. Probably stiff and needs replaced, but still out of adjustment.
If your mechanic can't figure it out, get another mechanic.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

It sounds like you need both a New Lower Shift Cable,+ a New Mechanic.....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Do a search for the Stuart Hastings OMC Cobra site, it will tell you just about everything you need to know about the shifting problems with the Cobra, and how it should be adjusted. When the cable is in good shape and it's adjusted correctly, these units shift very easily. You really need a mechanic with OMC experience, find a shop that sells Evinrudes and if they have a slightly older guy around who went to the OMC traning schools, that's the one!

KevOLikesBoating

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response.. Bond-o and Don, thanks as well.

I thought my shift cable was out of adjustment and I've seen this site before.

My current mechanic doesn't have much experience with OMC. I just found a new shop that advertises themselves as "Authorized factory warranty for Mercury, Mainer, Force, Johnson, Evinrude, Mercruiser, OMC, Sterndrives, Cobras & Volvo-Penta" and when asked if they had much experience with Cobras.. he replied "OHHH Yeah."

So I think this is the one, they just charge a lot more. The main reason I'm going to this mechanic right now is he has been around for over 20 years and goes way back with my best friend's dad. Worked on my friend's boat as well.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. When I first got mine back in 2002, it would shift into gear fine but didn't want to shift to neutral. Made docking 'interesting'. By luck, I found the best OMC shop around, and the guys there got it shifting great. Now if it costs a bit more, well running it with a bad cable will cost you at least the lower gears, and run into way more money.

Coors

Captain

I have OMC; find the shop that has old techs, have them lead you through it, then buy tools.
You can still buy all the parts, but the knowledge is dying, as the old techs retire.