92' 90hsp mariner electrical issue

myket1

Cadet
This is my last chance before starting the bad road of buying parts. I have an intermittant spark problem. I ran tests according to my tech manual and here are the results:<br /><br />Charge coil: <br /><br />Blue stator wire to Red stator wire I received no reading.<br /><br />Red stator wire to ground I did get an appropriate reading.<br /><br />Blue wire to ground, received appropriate results.<br /><br />Trigger resistance results: <br /><br />Nothing from the brown, white, or violet to wht/blk. <br /><br />Switchbox:<br /><br />Black/Yellow to ground I did get an appropriate reading when cranking volts seemed right on.<br /><br />Ignition coils:<br /><br />No reading from any of the coils. I would assume that means that there is no voltage coming from switchbox.<br /><br />With all of that being said, I guess it is time to make a decision and buy something. I would just hate to buy a stator if in fact there is a bad switchbox.<br /><br />Please give me any advice on making a decision.<br /><br />Thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 92' 90hsp mariner electrical issue

What meter are you useing to test that voltage output value? A standard VOM meter will not do it and will send you chasing your tail.You can however do the ohms tests described in that manual and keep in mind this engine has a history of faulty stators.Take a peek under that flywheel.Is the stator black or red? If all is black under there and you are open where you say you are it is stator update time.

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class

Give details on the intermittent spark - during idle, WOT, engine warm, cold etc.

myket1

Cadet

Thanks hondon. Is it safe to say that a stator may cause intermittent issues? I have heard from others that it either works or doesn't. I tend not to believe them and tend to side with your observation.<br /><br />Das, it has only occurred 2x in 4 months. Both times when trying to start. It has never died out while running. The last time this happened, it started 30 minutes later and was fine for 4 months. Recently it happened and would not start for a week. Suddenly it started but I was unable to restart after shutting it off for an hour. Now a week later, it decided to start and it is running as we speak. I am going to take it for a spin and see what happens when or if I get back.<br /><br />Thanks to both of you for responding. I really appreciate it.

The main loom inside the motor cover is round and has round male and female posts, I have had the motor, not turn over, have had it turn over w/ out any sign it wants to start. I wiggled the plug apart and back together again and the problem goes away. I suspect this main loom is the cause of some of my problems.

Ed Evans

Recruit

What meter are you useing to test that voltage output value? A standard VOM meter will not do it and will send you chasing your tail.You can however do the ohms tests described in that manual and keep in mind this engine has a history of faulty stators.Take a peek under that flywheel.Is the stator black or red? If all is black under there and you are open where you say you are it is stator update time.

95 -90hp mariner suspected stator problem. What is the ohms reading at the stator? 4 wires- have stator in hand 2 wires look like they have been hot!