92 90 hp VRO troubles..dealer is going to enlarge idle air jets with drill!!!

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class
I traded a troubled 89 Force 85 hp for this motor which was rebuilt over the winter.
It has been bored .040 over in all 4 holes and has new BRP pistons and rings. Carbs were rebuilt and it was handed to me with a 1 yr warranty.
Well its been hell ever since...

1st; it wouldn't idle....it would die from a lean sneeze every 30 seconds or so
took it back and they readjusted the timer base. Max rpm 5000..they say thats fine.

2nd; it still wouldn't idle....still dies with a lean sneeze, I want to troll, it can't...it finally dies outright and won't start so I took it back.
this time they replaced the powerpack and said it would be fine, they insist that 5000 rpm is correct for that motor.

3rd (this past weekend); it still can't idle and runs rough with the fast idle lever raised (so that it will warm up without dieing)...I ran around for about 2 hrs and then the max rpm dropped suddenly to 3500-3800. No overheat alarm. I checked for fuel restrictions, had plenty of oil (XD50) in the VRO tank but no way could it go faster than 3500 - 3800 rpm. I tried 3 different tanks (all 6 gallon OMC metal portables, two with straight gas the last with a 50:1 mix) it made no difference.

I was pi--ed off now so I docked it.

I dragged it back to the dealer (third trip back in a month and 1/2), explained the problem and was told "Oh yah those carbs run too lean the idle air jets (I think thats what he said; whatever it is it is not adjustable) are too small (WTF!, if they knew that why am I just hearing that now)... He could not explain the drop in power to 3500 rpm but said there was an industry mod they could do by reaming out a passage with a drill bit that would "{cure" the idling problem.

I said enough. If there was a backwoods cure for this thing why hadn't it been done the first two times and this still didn't deal with the drop in RPM and I walked away.

I got a call today saying they had it on the dyno (again) and it was running fine, the compression was fine and they would mod the carbs to get the idle right.

WHAT NOW? Should I let them mess with the carbs and take it back on their word that its OK or accept their offer to buy it back for $3100. (I paid $3100 and gave them my POS Force motor).

Problem is I would have a boat w/o a motor or should I keep after them to get it fixed so I can sell it boat/motor/trailer. Either way I am gettin g rid of this lemon.

OH and has anyone ever heard of this drill bit carb mod?

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 92 90 hp VRO troubles..dealer is going to enlarge idle air jets with drill!!!

I would ask them if they will still buy it back if it doesn't run right after the jets are drilled out.

It makes sense to drill the jets out after it is bored over so much, especially if you are at, or close to sea level.

Go for the bigger jets.

Also, when you tried an alternate tank, did you also use different gas lines to the motor?

Walker

Captain
Re: 92 90 hp VRO troubles..dealer is going to enlarge idle air jets with drill!!!

Never heard of that. I've bored lots of motors and never messed with the idle circuits to make them idle. Sounds to me like there is a crankcase leak or the recirculation valves are bad. If they can't get it running right then by all means sell it back to them.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

Starting in the 90's many 2-stroke manufacturers were forced to have lean running idle circuits by the EPA, would this affect the manufacture of outboards or just street legal vehicles?

0.40 over would only compound the problem if it did infact exist.

Just some thoughts, I'm not the expert here . . . .

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Edit: My error, did not read the entire text.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

He traded the Force in on a Johnson.

I think that a Force motor should be in a different forum.:cool:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The whole deal sounds shaky to me. I'd get the money back and keep shopping...

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Whoever told you that drilling out the idle air jets will make it run richer does not know $**t about carbs and how they work.

Air jets work opposite of fuel jets. A larger (drilled out) air jet allows more air into the idle circuit making it even leaner than before. Installing a smaller air jet richens up the idle by reducing the amount of air in the circuit.

A number of things will make a motor sneeze from running lean:

throttle linkage synchronization
recirculation valves stuck open
reeds broken or not seating
debris in carb or a gasket leak
crankcase leak
thermostats not warming motor
etc. etc. etc.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought we were talking about pilot jets - a small fuel meter for idling and up to 1/8 throttle. Air jets would be the opposite. I'm used to motorcycle engines so I'll back out of this thread now lol.

Whoever told you that drilling out the idle air jets will make it run richer does not know $**t about carbs and how they work.

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea I think I would get my money back and make them pay for the Force (atleast something). I've bored a many of cylinder oversize and never had to mess with the jetting or air bleeds. I think they are blowing smoke.