91Johnson 120hp carb problem

robbyusa

Seaman Apprentice
Helping a friend with his boat when I notice that when you look at the 4 carbs from the front, only 3 have brass tubes protruding from under their throats. Also the one with the missing tube is overflowing when the primer bulb is squeezed. Are these two things related and how do you remove/replace these tubes. the carbs are black plastic and I dont see any adjustment screws. Thanks Robby

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 91Johnson 120hp carb problem

hello<br /> mmm I thought that by then all the emulsion tube were plastic. sounds like it either corroded away or somebody pulled it out. Iknow there was a problem with them years ago. I dont know if they are still availible or not. Dhadley or Joe can help more than I on that. the flooding problem is a leaking needle or a mis- adjusted float. pull that carb a dissasemble for inspection.<br /> good luck and keep posting

robbyusa

Seaman Apprentice

thanks rodbolt I will try to adjust or clean valve seat. The other 3 tubes have no corrosion so I asume that the fourth didn't corrode away.<br /> Do these tubes push or screw in and out. Or are they molded in at the factory? Robby

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> well technically they are non removable. without seeing your carbs and without the tech bulliten in front of me I really cant say. but if it were mine I would find another carb. the propblem with dealing with older stuff is you never know who did what last. there are some cheapo junk shops in the norfolk VA area that turn out some serious frankenstein stuff. <br /> anyweay maybe one of the OMC dealer techs can help ya out, they will need the number off the carb. good luck and keep posting.

robbyusa

Seaman Apprentice

thanks rodbolt <br />Unfortunately its pouring rain here in sunny florida so I will try and post the carb numbers tomarrow. Thanks any way Robby

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you are talking about the horizontal brass tube thats just under the throat, that regulates air. There are carbs that use different sizes and some that use none. Its part of the calibration for the carb. Someone may have removed it or it may be a completely different carb body. It is not available seperately from E/J. The numbers will tell is its a different carb body. <br /><br />Good luck!

robbyusa

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help you are right my dealer can only replace the whole carb body I am pretty sure that the tube is missing and not just not required because I pulled one out of another carb and put it in the empty hole and it slid right in. dosnt seem to run to diferent with or without it so I guess I will run it till I find an old carb laying around that I can pull one out of.<br />By the way this carb and one other had no numbers on the side but the tube says 106 on the side.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just be careful. Sticking a tube in a carb body thats not meant to have one could be bad. That changes the calibration.<br /><br />Good luck!