'91 OMC Chris Craft Starting Problem

I recently put a new starter on my 454 king cobra i/o and it was starting great. Then when I would try to change gears from neutral to forward or reverse it would die. Now it will not start? I tried jumping the solenoid over and it started but died once trying to change gears. I replaced the solenoid thinking that was the problem but it still would not start but I could still start by jumping the solenoid over while the key was turned on. It would not start if the key was not turned to the on position but the starter would turn. Any suggestions on how to fix my problem? I think it may be in the gear shift or ignition. Someone please help me figure this out.

Re: '91 OMC Chris Craft Starting Problem

Don't know what or where that is. I'm a novice when it comes to knowing what things are but once someone tells me I can usually get it done.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The way an OMC Cobra is setup, is when you shift it out of gear, there is a shift interrupt sytem that prevents half the cyliinders from firing to relieve pressure from the diver gears so the shift dogs will release. Since it dies when you try to put it in gear, you probably need a lower shift cable along with some engine work. The engine shouldn't die unless it's already not running right.

Have you checked the shift interupter switch?

Obviously the shift interrupt switch on the shift plate is working. If it wasn't working, it wouldn't die, unless the drive was locked up.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

They are little micro type switches on the engine where the shift cable bracket is.Usually starboard side where your shift cable linkage and lower shift cable to the transom connect.