91 four winns 285 winterizing question

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ok you're going to be looking between the back of the engine and the transom mount. Don't have a good pic but get back there with a bright LED flashlight and start looking. Right behind the engine, is the bell housing that fits into the rear motor mounts that are part of the inner transom mount. The 3 nuts on each side you are looking for, are part of this.....2 on each side actually come through the transom mount the lowest ones on each side come through a bracket that is right below the bottom of the exhaust Y pipe. So yes on a twin engine installation the inner ones may be very tough to get at. Here’s a pic from my 1988 shop manual

Attachments

• 52C385B3-E471-4ECA-A76B-7809145AF3AA.jpeg
    52C385B3-E471-4ECA-A76B-7809145AF3AA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I'm I assuming it's the number 12 I'm looking for?
What is in front of it?
Yep, the flywheel housing is in front of it.
After you attempt this you will understand why some mechanics hate I/Os with a passion. As a marina owner here in Long Island once said the only thing worst than one I/O….is two!
While I most likely will repower this boat if I were buying a newer boat for my self there is NO WAY I’d have another I/O of any kind. Outboards only from now on. The latest “fun” I had with mine was changing the steering actuator behind the engine up against the transom. That was a multiple four letter word job. Got it done but not fun!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Old unit removed, you can see it was leaking between the control valve and the hydraulic cylinder, new (used) unit installed, I had to pull both exhaust manifolds to get back in there. Very common on Volvo Pentas, the seals on the hydraulic cylinders leak and VP says they can't be rebuilt so you get to buy a new one for a grand! However, there is a place in Fla that rebuilds them for half that. This older style Bendix unit can be rebuilt, I have all the parts to rebuild the one I took off.
The cotter pin extractor is a must for this job, it would be very difficult to impossible to get those 4 cotter pins from hell out without that tool....

Attachments

• steerng actuator removal.jpg
    steerng actuator removal.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • steering actuator intalled.jpg
    steering actuator intalled.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • cotter pin extractor.jpg
    cotter pin extractor.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5