91, 50 HP Force water pump

wirenut75

Cadet
Hi all. New to the board. Have purchased a 91 15' boat with a 91, 50 hp force on it. Engine hasnt run since 2003. It was winterized and the previous owner, an older gentleman, became ill and it has sat ever since.I was able to buy it and I put on new fuel lines, fresh battery and lubed cylinders a little(spray lube shot in externally). The flywheel spun 5 ties and it fired right up!! Problem is its not pumping water, which I expected to replace the pump anyway. I took it to two shops and neither would touch the water pump repair because it was a "Force". Im not extremely mechanical but Im considering takling replacing the impeller....and T-stat...as I have read its a good idea. What words of advice can anyone offer? What is the best manual to buy? Best place for parts (iboats?). Basically anything you can offer would be appreciated. One more question......why wouldnt these places work on it? They were both Merc shops. Than

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 91, 50 HP Force water pump

Tach and stuff 002.jpgNot pumping water:could be the wrong muffs.Needs a special one.
No idea why they won't work on Forces as they are the easiest $ there is.
F433065-2 Part#. This site sells parts and if not boats.net is where i buy from/
They have a tech that answers any questions on parts and makes sure that the part is right.
You in fresh water or salt(profile)? Fresh I wouldn't touch the thermo and in salt I'd think real hard about changing it till you know what your doing.Salt corrodes the bolts and makes them hard to remove.
FORCE factory manual Clymer/seloc is not as good.
Be careful when changing the gear oil.Remove the wrong screw and it will cost a lot to fix.J

fucawi

Banned

Why not change the impeller yourself ..there are instructions at the top of the listing ...make sure you get all the bolts holding the lower unit or you will break it get very frustrated...

wirenut75

Cadet

Thank you for the replies. Where are the instruction lists at top? Im not sure what you are pionting to. I have drained and pulled off the lower unit. In doing so I broke one of the four bolts holding it on but was able to apply a little heat and with a few choice words and a pair of channel locks I was able to remove the stud that was left. I also bent the threaded portion of the lower shift rod trying to remove the coupling nut. I opened up the water pump and the impeller tips are flattened. Im going to replace it, the wear plate and what ever seals I can find. Can someone tell me where the thermostat housing is on the engine?Im in brackish water, I'll see what the bolts look and determine if I want to tackle that. As for the the manual, which is that you are saying is best to get?? Thanks again for replying

wirenut75

Cadet

Three more things....there is a seal on the top of the drive shaft and just below it is some type of collar or retainer. How is the retainer removed? It needs to come off in order to slip the new impeller and pump seals on. And....I didnt notice the direction of the "bend" on the impeller vanes before I removed it. This may mean disassmbling it again after its installed if it doesnt pump properly. Also there is a seal under the pump wear plate, where the drive shaft enters the gear housing. It probably would be good to change that also. How do I remove it? Any help in determining these would be appreciated also...Thanks!!

fucawi

Banned

The instructions are in the stickies at the top of the listing

wirenut75

Cadet

changed the pump, put everything back together...forgot to reattach the shift linkage upper rod. What a PITA!! Its too late to disassemble it tonight. Can this thing be threaded on somehow, without dropping the lower unit again? But other than that, it was pretty straight forward.

wirenut75

Cadet

Its all back together and pumping water. The temp on the cylinders get some where between 140 t0 153, depending on where I aim the infrared gun. I see some water leaking out of one of the 3/8 bolt holes that hold the lower unit on. Everything is tight. Any idea what would cause that?

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That is normal, supposed to do it