91/2 Johnson fix

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,or anyone. I need help here.
I am the proud owner of a 65 Johnson 91/2 seahorse.I have been having trouble with it regarding power under load.In other words I can start and run it but it is only a shadow of it's former self.I took it to a repair guy who had it for 3 months and charged me $60,00 and said he couldn't fix it and he thought that the bottom seal may be shot.Fine no problem there ,I can fix that myself,except that the manual blithely says(remove power head) what it doesn't say is how.I am sure that eventually I could remove the power head but It would be a whole lot easier if I knew the correct sequence to do this,bearing in mind it looks like the cowling and casing have to be removed.If any kind soul out there knows the correct way to go about it he would have my undying gratitude.
Thanks in advance .
Geoff69

iwombat

Captain
Re: 91/2 Johnson fix

Starboard side of lower cowl must be removed. It's a lengthy procedure, but really not all that hard. My OEM manual has the step-by-step procedure on this.

Here's a picture of what it needs to look like just prior to powerhead and inner exhaust housing removal.

Attachments

• newPowerheadSmall.jpg
    newPowerheadSmall.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check your compression and spark first. does it run good with the cowl off, and falls on it's face, with the cowl on.

iwombat

Captain

What tashasd said. There's a whole slew of things to check for before popping that powerhead off.

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Friends.No I haven't tried anything else yet,I was just going by what the repair guy?? told me.I will check every thing else before i start tearing it down and holler if i get into trouble. Thanks again.
Geoff69

iwombat

Captain

definitely check the cowl on vs. cowl off situation. That's a common problem on those 9.5s and is often caused by a shift-shaft seal failing.