90hp upgrade to 120hp on th L-Drives

lovethelakes

Cadet
Can this be done? I have a Bayliner Crapi with the Force 90 L-Drive and it definately has taken a crap on me. I will either have to rebuild the powerhead or replace it. I want to know if I can replace it with the 120hp powerhead. Bayliners had both the 90 and 120 in the Crapi L-Drive boats. Seems to me if I had the complete 120hp motor that I should be able to remove my 90 and bolt in the 120. Now I just have to find the 120hp unit. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated, I will even add you to my Christmas List. Ho Ho Ho - Maybe Santa will bring me a motor. Untill then I will be removing the dead 90 and learning how to rebuild a powerhead for minimum $$$$.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90hp upgrade to 120hp on th L-Drives

There were some differences between the l-drive and the outboard powerheads, can't remember what they where for sure. But outboard powerheads have been installed inplace of dead l-drive units.<br /><br />If you can get things lined up, exhaust ports, etc, then why not upgrade to the 120? As long as there is enough room.

lovethelakes

Cadet

Well I will be looking for a 120hp but I surely would not pass on a running 90hp. I would love to here from someone who has done this before. I am going to remove the motor in the morning. I just bought this boat knowing it had a dead cylinder. The man I bought it from filled up with 12 gallons of fuel at the lake and didn't want to offend people around the docks by mixing the oil with the fuel, instead he fired it up and drove outside the no wake zone and then stopped and poured in the oil. Then he takes off imediately and that was it. ZERO compression in the middle cylinder. Grinding metal sounds and everything, Totally Lame Move even for a Newbie. Run a two stroke on that much raw fuel is beyond stupid, don't do it. <br /><br><br />Now I have to fix it with as little money and hassles as possible.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Heck, why stop there? Get a 150 powerhead. :D

Can't tell if that would work, but the gearcase capacity and ratio is similar (L-drive 26 oz. and 150 hp 26 to 35 oz.). On the top it looks okay, since Force just stacked more cylinders on top of another. The question is if the gearcase will hold up to the horses and the electronics aren't cheap as I have found out.

rottenray6402

Ensign

I don't know about the L- drive but I had a 1990 90 HP outboard that went bad twice, the second time I didn't want to put anymore money into the loser as far as a rebuild. I found a 1986 125HP in the Swapsheet and had a local marina take the 90 off and bolt the 125 on. Worked great except when I tilt the engine up to far the engine cover hits the back of the transom. Not really a problem as long as I am watching for it. The 4 cylinder runs much smoother and quieter than the 3 ever did. Hope this helps.