90hp tohatsu warning buzzer

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have replaced the impeller and it is pumping water(out the telltale anyway).The warning buzzer comes on in gear. What would cause this? I read on another forum that you can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor? Or is it likely to be something else?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 90hp tohatsu warning buzzer

I would try adjusting the pressure sensor, but, anything in the cooling system could be causing it.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has water pressure to the sensor so i have cleaned it up and adjusted it. could a blockage somewhere else cause this?

Salmon Tub

Seaman Apprentice

Not to steal this thread from Matt, but this brings up an interesting point. I had installed a new impeller back in march, and everything has been fine, but a month ago or so, I accidentally started the motor when it was up out of the water, and turned it off instantly after I noticed this. It had idled for no more that 1-2 seconds without water. Since then, every now and then, I will get a warning beep when shifting from N to F. The sound is the same as if you where to try and start the motor while in gear, and only lasts a second or so. A visual on the tell tale shows the same constant stream as before. Any ideas? Is it possible that it is not the water pressure alarm, but rather that the little detent sensor in the control box is sticking (the one that tells the motor it is in gear before start-up)? This may be the same problem Matt is haveing.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The neutral safety switch in the control box does not connect to a warning device. But, when you drop the engine into gear from an idle the pressure level does drop. If you still have good waterflow, than it is likely that the pressure switch can be adjusted to compensate.

Salmon Tub

Seaman Apprentice

On my engine, 90A if you put the motor into gear then try to start, the engine will not turn over, but there is an audible constant beep.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Really? Not that I remember. There is a start up beeping sound when you first turnover the engine. That's to let you know that the warning system is operational. I'll check in the morning and see if there is a link between the two to sound the alarm if it is being started in gear. It's possible.

Salmon Tub

Seaman Apprentice

Oddly enough, that is how it is on my boss's Yamaha OX66's and I thought it would be the same for my 90A. As a matter of fact, I do think that in the past, there have been times when the buzzer would beep upon ignition, but maybe I am confusing mine and his motors. I will be at the boat later today and will double check to see if it buzzes when attempting to start in gear. I do know for a fact that it will not turn over, as if a dead battery. I should look in my manual in the warning chart. Thanks Elvin.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Here's what we know for sure about the buzzer. <br />1) It does come on as you start the engine.<br />2) That is done as an indicator that the engine has a warning horn.<br />Now the weird part.<br />3) The horn is cut out of the warning circuit while the engine is in neutral.<br /><br />For design reasons unknown( maybe just stupidty), the neutral safety switch interupts the warning system so that the alarm can not activate while the engine is in neutral.<br />As soon as you drop it in gear the temp sender, low oil sender and the pressure sensor can then activate the horn if there is an abnormality.<br /><br />So, if your horn goes off in gear, at an idle it is probably low pressure, but it could be either of the other two.<br /><br />Who knew?

mikep9927

Cadet

where can you adjust the sensor? my motor constantly beeps when you put it in gear, until you accelerate. this could be a problem with my motor. I just thought it was an annoyance. thanks

costas

Recruit

I had the same problem with my Honda BF50. The problem was with the fueling system, mainly the quality of fuel. <br />1) check for water in the tank<br />2) Check for water in fuel filter<br /><br />In my case, I change one carburetor and the problem was solve.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You have to pull off the pressure sensor and there is an adj screw on the back.