90hp Tohatsu loss of power

mikep9927

Cadet
After several hours of my motor running great, the motor lost power. Felt like loss of a cylinder. The tach only reached 2000 RPM vs. the 5000 it had at top speed. When I got home I checked the compression of all cylinders. They all were around 130, which is good. I then checked for spark - all cylinders had spark. the plugs appeared black and fouled - but all of them looked the same. Before I set out I had replaced the plugs with the proper type and gap. I had also sprayed sea foam carb cleaner into the carb and addative to the gas. Like I said previously, it ran awesome for several hours, then took a crap. Do you think a jet in the carb got clogged possibly? or the electrical system fails under load? The motor starts and idles rough, but lacks power like a cylinder isnt firing. But how do I get spark then? maybe its a weak spark. I am very frustrated due to the recent blown cylinder on my Mercury. This is/was the replacement motor and only had it out 2 times and this happens. I can't win with these 2 strokes. any suggestions on where to go with this? It would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Mike

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 90hp Tohatsu loss of power

Is it a new or used engine? If it is new, take it in to a dealer for service. If it is used....It can be anything. You just have to troubleshoot the engine. About 90% of the time engine problems can be traced to the fuel system, so that's where I would start.

mikep9927

Cadet

The motor is used. I suspect the fuel also, but it might be as simple as a fouled plug. But why are the plugs fouling? When the motor ran good it seemed to consume alot of fuel. Its a 90hp automixing engine. I was also thinking of weak coils, but all three seems odd. I dont know.

mikep9927

Cadet

does the motor need a tank to be properly tuned? If so, is there a way to use a barrell of water or something instead? or can you get away with a garden hose flush?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Plugs can foul for a variety of reasons:<br />weak spark( CD module )<br />too much fuel getting to the plugs<br />out of time<br />bad plugs<br />It's not the ign coils....three at once is not likely.

mikep9927

Cadet

well, without the proper equipment to determine whats going on. And without the confidence of replacing the plugs and running out on the water, Ive decided to take it to a dealership who can. I will post the answer to all of this when I find out. thank you for your responses, its nice to know there someone out there I can ask...I appreciate it.

Lower Unit

Recruit

Don't take the motor to the dealer!!!! Here is the solution!!!! <br /><br />I had same problem with my Tohatsu 50 AND it's replacement Nissan 70. <br /><br />Diagnosis: Fouled plugs <br /><br />Rx: Those engines run best on the sorriest gasoline you can buy, the 87 octane. Additionally, stay away from the Wal-mart or similar cheaper brands of outboard oil. I switched from the highest octane gas to the 87 octane...........and switched over from cheap brands of outboard motor oil to Johnson-Evinrude outboard oil and the problem went completely away.<br /><br />By the way, this info came from a Johnson-Evinrude shop............I thought he was full of bilge, but he hit the nail right on the head!<br /><br />Give it a try.<br /><br />Let us know.<br /><br />Bones