90hp tilt/trim motor

morpheus847

Cadet
Bought a boat and it has power tilt/trim the guy said it's supposed to have a 2 wire motor on it but it messed up and all he had was a three wire motor to put on it. Now the three wire motor works but you can only have one wire hooked up at a time blue up or green down. Is there anyway to fix the three wire somehow where you can keep them both plugged in. If you leave them both plugged in right now it goes up/down very slow and gets connector very hot.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 90hp tilt/trim motor

I cant believe I wrote this looooooooong reply and hit delete by accident,anyway,get a FORD auto solonoid,using one of the mounting holes find a spot under the cowling to mount ,maybe with an existing bolt.take #6 wire from pos.lug on you starter sol.to the battery lug on the new sol.its the large post.take your blue tnt wire connect to other big lug,dont know what you have for a switch now but you can use a 2 position momentary on switch,get a good cole heresy ,mount it on dash or your preferance,you want to connect a positive to the main ,common load connection on switch,then connect a wire from one of the switch connections to the ign.post on the new sol.you should now have up if switch pushed right way.next simply take the remaing post and hook to the grn.(down)wire on the tnt.Use at least #6 wire all the way I know you may need to run extension wiring if switch is on dash,as to why you only nee 1 solonoid,if the engine is free enough,that is greased well .no resistance,the down shouldnt need as much amp draw and usually you can do it without trouble,not using a sol.on the up usually burns out wires and switches,all that said,you could use 2 solonoids,your choice,did it this way many times on old 3 wire systems no problem