90hp silencer box leak

nboater

Seaman Apprentice
90hp Merc, 2004, oil injected, leaks oil at silencer box. Only 1 month old. :( How common of a problem is this? Thanks.

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 90hp silencer box leak

Do you mean the air box cover? If so, it's not a big deal. From all of the double oil from break-in, your going to have oil dripping from there and the exhaust. It's simply an excess of oil, which is normal. If your still running the double oil, relax. I have the same motor --- they are awesome machines.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Welcome to iboats and take it back to have it checked. It could be as simple as gas coming out of the carbs when it's tilted, it could be as bad as an oil problem. If it's the first, there's not a lot you can do about it. If it's the second...well the consequences are obvious.<br /><br />Carbureted 2-strokes are inheritantly dirty motors. They leak gas and oil everywhere. They dribble out of the carbs when you tilt it way up and some spits back out of the carb as it's running. They try their best to keep it contained, but they can't eliminate all of it.

nboater

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. Still running double oil, so maybe it's that. This was discovered when I took the boat back (new also)to the dealer for some minor problems. They ordered some part from Mercury (part name escapes me now). Thanks again.