90hp merc outboard boggs down please help!!?

daddypyke

Cadet
I'm not sure the year the 6 cylinder # is 6515548. Anyway I bought the boat a month ago and I cant get the engine to go ant faster than 10mph. The engine hesitates like it wants to go but it does'nt. I've brought it to the shop they cleaned the carbs as well as rebuilt the fuel pump, checked the compression and spark but the problem is still there. It's not like the fuel is'nt getting there because it is eatting gas at a fast rate. Please help!!! :confused:

ronmold

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 90hp merc outboard boggs down please help!!?

check plug wires w/inductive timing light while engine is bogging to see if they are getting spark.

Keith Buchanan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same trouble, tried everything, I had what appeared to be healthy looking spark on all cylinders but not all the plugs were coked up. A new set of leads did the trick.<br /><br />Best of luck.. Keith B...

daddypyke

Cadet

I'll try the wires thanks for the help i'll keep you posted.

daddypyke

Cadet

The wires are good I don't know about the timming. Any other suggestions would be apreaciated.

jajeeper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the gas new, gas can vent working, any of the fuel hoses old and possibly allowing air in?

daddypyke

Cadet

The gas is new, the can vent is working. could maby the sparkplugs I put in which are autolites not be as strong as the champions I replaced.

monolithic

Cadet

On my 115 was turn the screws out a 13 more.. did the trick.

daddypyke

Cadet

It may be the high speed stator . I must now buy the motors manual w/scimatics.

Lakelander

Recruit

1986 Merc 90 HP 6cyl. inline: I have the same problem with mine. I replaced a bad rectifier last week and noticed that idle was fine but as soon as I accelerated, the engine bogged down as if flooding. Went through the carbs-fine, checked plugs(top 2 wet). Replaced gas, still problem. Found a water leak from power head gasket on #1 plug area and thought the plug got shorted out. Fixed leak-new plug. Decided last thing I changed was the rectifier. Disconnected wires from stator on rectifier, varoom, ran great. My theory is high speed stator gone and low side is good enough to run the spark plugs but not strong enough to charge the battery and run the engine at the same time. Will do a stator test tonight and verify. Probably replace stator. Will let you know.