90hp Mariner tilt/trim problem

steepbank

Recruit
Mariner 90hp - Serial 5919066 which I think is a 1981 model. Tilt & Trim mechanics under the stern with hydraulics hoses to the motor - Worked fine last summer prior to dry/heated winter storage. Tilt trim won't work (fully charged battery "stutters" the selonoid). I think the motor is toasted. Questions: 1) How can I lower the unit (it is on a trailer); I have turned the knurled knob and was able to manually raise the unit. 2) How do I remove the electric motor from the hydulic appartus - everything seems to have been sealed on? THANKS IN ADVANCE...

echozulu

Seaman
Re: 90hp Mariner tilt/trim problem

before you take it apart have a helper work the switch while you LIGHTLY hammer the top of the trim motor the brushes might be stuck from sitting its butchery but so is that external trm unit

steepbank

Recruit
Re: 90hp Mariner tilt/trim problem

90hp Mariner with tilt/trim problems... Thanks for the advise on "what could be the issue?" In a nutshell, I removed the unit from the boat and than the electric motor which was frozen. A rebuilt $200 (cdn) motor will be here on Monday.<br /><br />GREAT RESOURCE FOR PROBLEMS... wiring, etc. covered in other posts really speeds thing up. :)