90hp I-6 water in bottom cylinder

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So fixed some of the problems I had on the motor, but found one more. I made the maiden voyage with it last night, everything seemed to run good. Shut it off and back on several times. The last time after sitting for a little bit it would not start.

I am going to guess that it was a flooding issue. I say that because I hooked up the muffs and after some cranking without choking it finally ran on its own. It had this very erratic/occasional rev going on so I figured it was a intermittent plug issue, almost like one was dirty.

I let it idle for 10-15 mins before I shut it off and decided to check plugs. Each one came out looking normal. Got down to the last plug #6 on the bottom and pulled it out only to find a milky substance on it. Not a lot, but the plug was rather clean, it had some carbon on it, but it was a lot cleaner than the rest.

I am leaning toward a bad bottom seal on the crank. Anyone else have any thoughts on it? It seemed as though it did fire occasionally, I am going to stick a spark tester on it tomorrow to make sure it is getting spark, but water is infiltrating none the less, unless it is not water mixing with the oil in the cylinder.

Is there any other possible explanation for this? Any thoughts or recommendations on what to do? The motor itself is a strong motor, runs great at least it had a great run last night. It sat for a long time in a field, so I am guessing that it could have dried up some seals. I soaked the cylinders in pb blast for a while before I ever tried starting it. Compression is great on all cylinders. Could this problem correct itself? I guess I am going to find out because unless someone can give me a good reason to pull the thing completely apart to look and replace a seal I am going to run it the rest of the summer like this.

There is not very much water as far as I can tell, but that is why I am on here picking brains to see what others gut feelings are. Thanks in advance.

latin monkey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 90hp I-6 water in bottom cylinder

gasket could be bad on the block cover (where the plugs are), i would check that first. bad powerhead to exhaust plate gasket or bad seal in lower endcap

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

water jacket gasket would not put water in the cyl.ex.cover gasket on the other hand would.standing at the back of motor,long plate on port side is ex.plate...if ever ran hot, its suspect

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree on head cover because these are cast cylinders. There would be no way for water to enter there except around sparkplug hole, and it's not coming through there.

Exh cover may be suspect, although I can almost, almost be positive it has not run hot. Motor has been taken care of. My curiousity would be if it was the exhaust cover, why only bottom cylinder?

Thanks for the input guys, I am hoping that this will help others also.