90hp buzzer went of shortly after starting stutters when given gas

_dan1el_

Cadet
hi i am new here, also to boating.<br />i have a small boat with a 90hp yamaha, yesterday was the first day i took it out.<br />shortly after starting it the buzzer went off it was a continous sound. so i turned off the engine waited for a second then turned it back on and it no longer sounded.<br />i drove up the lake, and as i applied the gas the engine picked up speed but then stuttered, and did not go any faster. so i eased off on the gas and just cruised around at a low speed, but it did it at exactly the same amount of rpm's<br />i was on the lake about 20 minutes.<br />and as i was putting the boat back on the trailer i realised i had not primed the engine with the primer bulb, and i hadn't taken off the air valve on the gas tank.<br />would this be a cause of the problem for the loss of power? any thoughts or oppinions would be appreciated.<br />thanks<br />daniel.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90hp buzzer went of shortly after starting stutters when given gas

do you have the yamaha digital tach? if not buy one if your engine is oil injected.<br /> the tach is about the only way to id overheat from oil alarms. it can be done with some creative wiring and a lamp or LED.<br /> but the stutter with an alarm is normal.<br /> any alarm will place it in speed reduction mode and limit you to about 2500 RPM. the air vent will not only create a power loss it can burn a piston. the primer strictly primes the carbs for the initial start and after its running is not nesasary.<br /> and welcome to iboats, its fun but be aware its addicting :)

_dan1el_

Cadet

hi rodbolt,<br />thanks for the info.<br />i dont know if i have oil injected engine.<br />how can i tell, i know the oil is placed in the top of the engine and not mixed with the fuel.<br />it has alot of oil there is an oil indicator on the dash which has 3 lights and is showing full. when the alarm sounds how long would the speed reduction last? if i was to open the valve on the gas tank would the speed limiter reset? do you think the alarm was from oil. <br />thanks<br />daniel

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Yep that's oil injection.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like its oil injected. if an alarm sounds the system(cdi) will go into speed reduction and limit you to about 2000 RPM. any more and it shakes like mad.<br /> to reset the speed reduction the cause of the alarm must be corrected and the ignition switched to off. if the 3 bars remained ok you had an overheat, check the impeller,tstat and pressure control valve.<br /> sometimes you have to leave they key off a few minutes to allow the temp switch to fully reset. sometimes you get enough current to keep the cdi triggered but not the alarm.<br /> do a spark and compression test first.<br /> its quick and easy and the spark tester can be homemade.<br /> if all is well fix any cooling system defects. then double check your fuel system. look at the filter cup on the block. empty it in a clear container and look for water bubbles in the fuel. openr the carb drain screws and drain the bowls.<br /> then find someone you trust, not your exwifes cousins nephew who has a friend that fixed tractors on the side, to show you how to operate your yamaha.<br />i9f all looks well dissconect the pink wire from the CDI and retest.<br /> if it still wont work you need a decent tech that knows yamaha.

_dan1el_

Cadet

rodbolt,<br />thanks so much for the info.<br />i thought the 3 lights on the dash oil was an indication of the level of oil and when i saw the 3rd light on i thought the oil was full?<br />on the 3rd light on on the right was on.<br />the engine has just had a full service including<br />carb kit, impeller and spark plug change.<br />i am hoping the alarm sounded because i did not open the valve on the fuel tank to let the fuel come out. the alarm sounded a few minutes after i started the engine. <br />thanks again.<br />daniel.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the tank air vent has nothing to do with alarms on that motor

_dan1el_

Cadet

ok, but if the lack of air getting into to the tank does not allow gas to get in to the motor, would that set the alarm off? <br />are the 3 l.e.d's an indication of oil levels?<br />the far right led is on.<br />thanks <br />daniel.

_dan1el_

Cadet

ok, but if the lack of air getting into to the tank does not allow gas to get in to the motor, would that set the alarm off? <br />are the 3 l.e.d's an indication of oil levels?<br />the far right led is on.<br />thanks <br />daniel.

_dan1el_

Cadet

rodbolt,<br />i just checked, and it is a gauge which is an gauge to indicate the amount of oil. 3 led's<br />low medium and full and its indicating the oil is full.<br />when the alarm went off does that definetly indicate overheating? <br />thanks<br />daniel.