90 Sportjet

I have a bayliner jazz. The engine in the boat is a 90 hp mercury sportjet. I want to know what is the proper way to drain the oil and then fill it up. I have looked at it and only see one plug. I dont know where the other one is and how much fluid is necessary to fill it. Thanks Robert

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 Sportjet

hello<br /> under the ride plate there is a fill and drain screw.<br /> takes almost 1 qt. always use new gaskets.<br /> the stator has to be removed and drained manually but you need to do that to check the wear ring and liner as well as dress any impeller edges. buy the service manual and it will help.<br /> good luck and keep posting

I found the screws. The one is in front of the plate and the other is under the plate. Is the one in front of the plate the fill and drain one? From looking at it i think the front one of the cover is the fill and the one under the plate is the vent and the one that tells me that it is full when it goes over am i right? Thanks for the help Robert

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

The one in front of the plate is the vent plug. The one in the grate is the drain/fill plug. You pump or squeeze the lubricant into the drain/fill plug until it starts to come out the vent plug hole. The stator is more involved. rodbolt is right, a manual will really prove valuable.

Thanks guys i think i have it under control. What are you talking about the stator? I dont think your talking about under the flywheel are you?

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

A stator is also part of the jet drive. You can think of it as a fixed set of vanes which keeps the water flow straight. In the jet drive, it is located just aft of the impeller and forward of the nozzel.<br /><br />The stator under your flywheel is different. It is a stationary ring with wire windings. As the magnets attached to the flywheel spin by, an electrical current is generated, which is where all the 'juice' comes from to power your electrical system and charge your battery. The only thing these two stators have in common is that neither moves.

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really think you should invest in a Mercury shop manual. You can go to their web site for information -- should cost you around $40.