90 hp tohatsu

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 1996 tohatsu 90hp lined up. i am going to have a look at it in the next week or so. anything to watch for on these engines? thanks

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 90 hp tohatsu

thanks elvin. the guy is going to run it for me as well. what would you expect the compressions to be?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

As long as it is even across all three cylinders don't be too concerned about the actual reading, but it will probably be somewhere between 120- 140. If the same guage has a reading of more than 5 difference between the cylinders you might want to pull the head and do a visual inspection. If the difference is more than 10 then something is wrong. IE, blown headgasket, piston, block....etc.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats what i thought! so are they electrically good? (reliable)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The 90 was introduced back in the late 80's. the only problem we ever had with them was a production run of about 600 units in 89 that had improperly pressed cranks. Other than that they have been trouble free. Electrically solid, they had a component failure rate so low as to be statistically insignificant. But, keep in mind that the engine is at least 8 years old. " Things fall apart." At this point in the engines life a variety of things can begin to fail. A CD module is $300.00. While a used engine will certainly cost less than a new one, after a point you are taking a gamble on winding up with a "money pit". The stories about the "30 year old Evinrude that runs just like new" are almost always small engines, only used in freshwater and were well maintained. The reality is that all three cylinder and larger, engines over 5 years old, used in saltwater, that have had skimpy service are one step away from the boneyard.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well its certainly going to be cheap enough!! what would you think it would be worth? (how long is a piece of string!!)it was used on a commercial rig so hopefully has been maintained. i will know when i see it. got to be better than my 72 65hp johnson that had the big meltdown!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Book values aren't important. In our area, somewhere between 1000-1200. If it is in good shape. Keep in mind 200 hps that are ten years old go for 1500 and 10 hp engines run in the 700 dollar range. The higher the HP the lower the retained value.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow, sounds like i need to move to the states! over here, people you are talking nz$4000 for a 1990 70hp johnson! this tohatsu is going to be half that.sounds like a deal. just need to find a cheap control box for it!