90 HP FORCE L-UNIT GOES FORWARD THEN POPS IN REVERSE

discover

Cadet
18 Capri Bayliner,with 90 hp Force L-unit year:1990<br /><br />Took the boat out on the Lake yesterday and she started fine.When I started the engine it jumped forward ,after a few minutes it than jumps into reverse. I have to shut the engine Play with the shift to get it back into forward. It did this a few times. I cannot place into netrual. If I go faster than 15 rpm it will stay in forward. Is this a control or an engine problem?<br /> :confused: I can see the throttle hookup but where is the forward and reverse cable and hook up on this force engine. ...Help!

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 90 HP FORCE L-UNIT GOES FORWARD THEN POPS IN REVERSE

Discover....<br /><br />Underneath the drive, outside the boat, is where the shift cable is attached to the shift lever on the drive.<br /><br />Mine used to come off and I was unable to shift at all...was so much of pain trying to fix out on the water that I made checking the set screw as part of my preflight.<br /><br />This may or may not be your problem. But get under there and you'll see where the shift cable is.<br /><br />Write back if you can't find it and I'll try to give you a more detailed discription as to where it is...I'm sure you'll see it though.

discover

Cadet
Re: 90 HP FORCE L-UNIT GOES FORWARD THEN POPS IN REVERSE

When I took apart the hand control there is a black plastic ... 2x 2 in. that was loose and a large silver 1/2 pin fell out. This pin slides along this plastic track forcing the cable to go forward or reverse. <br />What is the proper way of installing or putting this gaget together? Please Help!