90 HP 4 Stroke - intermittent start problems

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
My merc starts up like a champ every morning. However, occassionally, after running, when I turn the enjoy off and then turn it back on there is nothing. It does click but won't start. I've tried various ways of trying to get it to start, such as, jiggling the battery connections, turning the wheel, shifting back/forth to neutral. Then, out of the blue, it starts again.

It's hard to troubleshoot because it doesn't always 'not start' and when it doesn't start, I'm usually out somewhere without tools.

Again, it's just an intermittent starting problem.

Any suggestions on where to begin troubleshooting this?

thanks

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: 90 HP 4 Stroke - intermittent start problems

to a voltage drop test
do a search i posted it on here
clean all the connections, including the key switch

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Jiggling is not a diagnostic tool (at least not a very good one). A solenoid click says voltage is getting to the starter solenoid but not enough voltage is the problem. Start by making sure the battery cable ends are clean and tight. That means disconnecting them (both ends) and making sure they and their terminals are shiny clean. Inspect each cable carefully where it enters the terminal end. Any corrosion is a point of resistance. Install a new termina or replace the cable. Reinstall the cables and tighten securely. Now try it. If it goes, you learned a lesson. If not -- using a single jumper cable, connect one end to BATTERY POS. Touch the other end to the large terminal on the starter. If it now spins normally, you probably have a starter solenoid going bad. They don't cost a fortune.

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I'll start with the battery cable. Also, being in Belize marine parts are expensive, and that's if you can find them incountry. I may have to use non-marine grade battery cable.

Silvertip said:
Jiggling is not a diagnostic tool (at least not a very good one). A solenoid click says voltage is getting to the starter solenoid but not enough voltage is the problem. Start by making sure the battery cable ends are clean and tight. That means disconnecting them (both ends) and making sure they and their terminals are shiny clean. Inspect each cable carefully where it enters the terminal end. Any corrosion is a point of resistance. Install a new termina or replace the cable. Reinstall the cables and tighten securely. Now try it. If it goes, you learned a lesson. If not -- using a single jumper cable, connect one end to BATTERY POS. Touch the other end to the large terminal on the starter. If it now spins normally, you probably have a starter solenoid going bad. They don't cost a fortune.

i have a 2000 mercury outboard, efi, 200hp. i also have problems getting it to run from cold starts. I recently couldnt get it to start after it setup for approx i month. When attempting to start, thought i had run batteries down low, so stopped and placed batteries on inboard charger for a few days. when returning, got same results, when cranking. checked batteris which showed charged. what could be the problem if batteries are charged? I live on a lake and run the motor durring winter months. Last time engine was serviced was last spring. Engine has always been hard to start when cold.