90 horse chrysler fuel issue at start and Idle

myket1

Cadet
I have a 90hsp chrysler 3 cyl. I think that there are only 2 models with that hsp. I am thinking that it is a 73 or 74.<br /><br />When starting it seems that way too much fuel is being dumped into the carbs. If it does not start right away, it will flood. Also, once started, it seems that there is barely enough gas to keep running. I have been adjusting the idle screws on each carb to hopefully resolve the idle issue. However, I am not sure how to address the fuel dumping at start up. I have an electric choke that seems to be functional. Is there some other adjustment I can make to decrease the amount of fuel being used at start up?<br /><br />I would appreciate any feed back that you could give me.<br /><br />Thanks

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 90 horse chrysler fuel issue at start and Idle

Sounds to me like the needle and seat valves are worn out in one or more of the carbs. I'd go to NAPA and get 3 carb rebuild kits. They're not hard to rebuild. Just make sure you soak them in carb cleaner overnight and blow out the passages with compressed air. Also might be a good time to rebuild the fuel pump-even easier to do. Both kits come with good instructions.

myket1

Cadet
Re: 90 horse chrysler fuel issue at start and Idle

thanks for the reply.