'90 Four Winns 225 Sundowner

Usmc0341

Recruit
Hello, new guy here.

I have been looking for information across the web and have stumbled across some here that I think may end up being a deal killer for me, however, I wanted to actually join and ask my specific question since much of the information that I saw was 6+ years old.

I am going to look at an immaculate condition 1990 Four Winns 225 sundowner today that has a Jasper 5.7 reman motor (2020) but still has the OMC Cobra outdrive. They said they pulled and re-sealed (2019) the outdrive but I'm thinking that the eventual replacement of a 30+ year old outdrive is likely and the cost is going to be more than the boat is worth even in the great shape that this one is in.

I'm looking for something reliable for my wife/ kids to enjoy and the age of the boat already has me a bit worried, then the second major component of the powertrain being virtually unobtanium...

Thanks in advance.

Montreal

Cadet
Hello, new guy here.

I have been looking for information across the web and have stumbled across some here that I think may end up being a deal killer for me, however, I wanted to actually join and ask my specific question since much of the information that I saw was 6+ years old.

I am going to look at an immaculate condition 1990 Four Winns 225 sundowner today that has a Jasper 5.7 reman motor (2020) but still has the OMC Cobra outdrive. They said they pulled and re-sealed (2019) the outdrive but I'm thinking that the eventual replacement of a 30+ year old outdrive is likely and the cost is going to be more than the boat is worth even in the great shape that this one is in.

I'm looking for something reliable for my wife/ kids to enjoy and the age of the boat already has me a bit worried, then the second major component of the powertrain being virtually unobtanium...

Thanks in advance.
I recently bought a 1989 Four Winns 235 Sundowner that was definitely a project boat. A tree fell across the bow and took out the bow rails, side windshields, and spider webbed all over the gel coat (cosmetic, no structural damage). Has the original '89 5.7L OMC Cobra. I went through the outdrive, media blasted the entire housing(s), epoxy primed and epoxy painted. The guts of the outdrive were about 50/50 needing to be replaced. I found everything I needed, and not too badly priced. I bought a gear here, a bearing there, a shim at another place, and some special tools you'll need. eBay and Sierra are good places to look. Many of the bearings were generic, so they were not hard to find. Shifts smooth and quiet. If it weren't for the ESA momentarily kicking in, I would even know a shift was occurring.

If I came across another good deal, an OMC Cobra would not be a make or break factor.