90* crossflow, or 60*looper

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am new to both of these motors. I found a boat in great shape, and a real good price. It is a 1995 , with a 1995 johnson 115. It is a 90* crossflow, not a 60* looper, whatever that means. From what I have been reading, the 60* is the better motor.I would like to hear some input on this, from those who know these motors. Thank you all for your help. If you had your choise, which one?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90* crossflow, or 60*looper

I would go with the 60* looper. They were a lot better mtr. The 90* cross flow has been around since 1958 with a lot of changes and I know some probs with them that I won't post here. My advice would be to get a 60* looper. They were a darn good mtr. The mtrs are two completly different designs.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I would also choose the 60 degree looper. Better design, better on fuel etc.

The crossflow will have a smoother idle but will suck more gas and weigh more. Both are good motors, nothing wrong with getting the crossflow just that the looper is slightly better.

Haffiman

Commander

The cross flow engine has been running more or less unchanged for some 25 years, parts easily available.
The early loopers (60) had their issues as all new models presented by OMC!!
This was released at the beginning of the end of OMC, and quality decline in certain parts, electronics, was already noticeable.
I would say it might be just a question of price.
A perfect working 60 outruns the 90 in the most, but at a higher purchase price.