9.9 merc disconnect lower unit

Papa Joe

Cadet
How do you remove the shift rod from the lower unit to get to the impeller? I'm new to this. <br /><br />Feel like an idiot.

Bob H.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 9.9 merc disconnect lower unit

Not familiar with that particular engine but if the shift linkage travels up leg to the powerhead look at the shifting linkage topside and disconnect at the powerhead. On most Mercs it only a short spline shaft (about 1-1/2" tall) that comes out of the lower unit. Depending on when the last time it was apart, you're bigger problem may be getting the drive shaft loose from the powerhead.

CF-DRG

Cadet

You didn't mention what year it is... But I'll give it a try... The ones I worked on 70's and 80,s<br /> Put the engine in Foward gear... Undo the bolts that hold the lower end onto the leg..Now it should drop about 1/16 in. if not all the way out... if it just drops down a bit, try to pull it out, if that doesn't work then get a rubber mallet and LITELY tap on the top of the anti-cav plate... It should move and drop out.. When you re-install it get some Quicksilver Anti-corrosion grease from the dealer (it,s like molasses) and put it on the driveshaft splines that go into the crankshaft. Next time you have to take it apart it will be that much easier...<br /> You shouldn't have to remove the shift shaft to replace the impeller.. Just those 2 bolts holding the waterpump housing on..Once thats off be careful not to lose the impeller key way.. Slide the old one off the drive shaft and slide a new one back on... Just a tip get some "rubber grease" (can get it at most automotive stores, used for hoses ect..)and rub it into the new impeller before you reassemble the water pump... It just make easier to squeeze that little guy into the housing.... Now put it all back together... Make sure you got the water line back into its slot (you can see it right beside the crankshaft, if you look with a flashlite up the leg).. You'll know when you go to run it and no water comes out the pee hole, that it isn't in there.... ;) <br /> Good luck

Papa Joe

Cadet

Thanks. I'll give that a shot this weekend.