9.9 Johnson 1970's ? Fuel Issues? Prop Issues?

grrr_evans

Cadet
Hello I own a older 9.9hp Johnson outboard engine:
Serial # = C8096852
Model # = J10RCSE

Could someone help me with this bad boys birthday?

Also the original prop size and pitch, just for recreational fishing and I like to get it going decently fast!

It hasn't been started in a year or so and it's been pretty cold out, it has spark too both combustion chambers and I can spray ether into the pistons and get it going and keep it going with the ether being sprayed into the carb, it seems like the fuel pump system isn't taking or maybe recieveing the fuel, I checked the hose and it is air tight so I think it's the fuel pump? what should I do???

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.9 Johnson 1970's ? Fuel Issues? Prop Issues?

I believe that is a 1980.
To do the proper prop size we really need trypical load,boat type/size.present prop size,max rpm and speed.A tinytach can get the rpm and a gps your speed.Only way to best performance and motor health.
At the least your impression of the present performance empty and loaded and present prop size. All that said a 9 or 10" pitch is probably typical.

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

how long did you spray ether into it to keep it running?

That is one of the worst things you can do on an outboard motor because the oil / fuel ratio is what lubricates those chambers. Did you at least have it in the water or on muffs so the engine is being cooled.

I am not a professional mechanic but I know it can be detrimental to the engine by using either to start it or keep it running. It doesnt have any lubrication mixed with it and 2 cycle motors require this, and require it always when running.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Actually a 1980 model. (CS= 1980)

DON'T use ether to start it and never ever keep it running by spraying ether. NO OIL you see Use a 50:1 fuel mix instead.

If it were the fuel pump you should be able to pump fuel in with the bulb and start it then keep it running by pumping the bulb. If it starts but can only be kept running by pumping the bulb then it could well be the fuel pump at fault but if it wont start without spraying fuel in directly then very probably the carb needs a thorough strip and clean..

Props listed are 9? x 10, 10x 5, 9? x 8 (for sailboats), 9 x10 and a stainless 9? or 9? x 9 For higher speed you'll need a one of the larger pitches but the prop must be matched to the boat. The Props forum is the place to ask.

grrr_evans

Cadet

Thanks for the help!

So I stopped using either and I then cleaned the carb of old gas and such, I then it fired up right away but It will not stay running I have to keep pumping the line, does the mean my fuel pump is gone?

I have a 14 ft Harborcraft tin boat and I usually carry about 3 guys with just fishing gear, I want it to go pretty fast, and right now with the prop issues it looks pretty beat up. I start going and I putt along just fine when in Idle when everything was running, but when I give it gas it seams like the prop air locks and starts to cavitate because there is no power! should I just buy a new prop? or file it down? I am clueless? any suggestions?!?

Rick.

Captain

If the prop is in bad condition ( blades) then I would replace it. When cleaning the carb. did you break it all apart and clean every hole and channel and blow it out with compressed air? I can't see a bad prop causing the motor not to rev. up properly. I have to wonder if your carb. is real clean. It does sound like you have to replace the fuel pump or rebuild the one you have. I would recommend buying a new one as a rebuild is rather complex. One more thing that I have to mention is your tank vent. Are you sure it is working well. If you are in any doubt, loosen the tank cap and see if it makes a difference. Good luck, Rick.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If you can keep it running by pumping the bulb it does point to the fuel pump being defective although its not a 100% certain diagnosis.

As Rick says best to probably replace it but if you do decide to overhaul it take it apart very carefully noting how and where every part fits.

If the engine revs but you get little increase in the forward drive it could be that the rubber hub is "spun".

Mark the end of the shaft and the prop then after giving it a run check to see if the marks still line up. If they dont then it is "spun" The bushing appears to be an easily replaceable part.

You cannot achieve anything by filing the prop down. If its damaged or the wrong diameter/pitch you'll need to replace it.

You to the "Props Questions and topics" board for advice on the most suitable.

grrr_evans

Cadet

The website is AWSOME!!! Thanks for the help everyone!

I have cleaned the carb fairly well with carb cleaner blowing compressed air thru the Jets and the Fuel intake, the motor still dies after running it runs for about 2-3 minutes and then dies but if I pump the fuel Line it still runs, should I buy a new pump? and it I do should it be this one?

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson_Fuel_Pumps/dm/*******.589281356--**********.954028642--view_id.271387

Sierra 18-7350 Fuel Pump

Deanrt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As mentioned, the tank venting could be the culprit. Also, with a 9.9, a 14 foot boat and 3 guy's I wouldnt expect much as far as speed. Heck if was to get on plane I would be happy. Good luck.

timsmcm

Seaman

My boat with my little 15 hp evinrude will run 27mph with three big men in it./