9.9 Evin, with foam, Not good ?????

John H1

Cadet
So I’ve decided to make a trip to Canada and chase some Wiley walleye. Took out my trusty 9.9, 1977, Evinrude, changed the lower end oil, hooked up the ear-muffs-- runs fine. Stood it in the corner, walked by a couple of days latter and there sit two types of oil below the skeg. 1. Clear color oil—conclusion have new seals put in lower unit (all three locations). Cost $220.00. 2. And a light color brown emulsified foam coming out of the exhaust. Pooling aft of the prop.<br /> OK, while I’m picking up the engine in the water tank, the mech. Shows me how good its running, and then states that,” you see this light color brown foam coming out of the exhaust floating on top off the water? Yes, I say…”well I’ve seen it occur only once before in my career, and I never did figured out what was the cause”. DUH!!!!!!<br /> Question---seals have cured the clear oil leak, BUT after running it in water, then left standing out, where and what is causing this medium to light brown foam (ey) pool on the floor, coming out of the exhaust????? Good or BAD? Thanks for educated…Guesses. John H1

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 9.9 Evin, with foam, Not good ?????

Hi, John.<br /><br />In the absence of other symptoms I will guess that it is unburned fuel/oil that mixed with cooling water in the exhaust chamber. That would be nothing to worry about.<br /><br />Good luck. :)