9.9 and 15hp differences.

rupertmja

Seaman
My hobby is rebuilding stuff and I have been doing Evinrude/Johnson small outboards for about four years now. My question is this. Peope keep asking me if they can bolt a carb onto a 9.9 to make it a 15 and I keep telling them no as that is what I read somewhere. Anyway, what's the score? How similar / different are these two motors?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: 9.9 and 15hp differences.

I may depend a little of year, but in general carb, intake and exhaust. To be sure, compare parts of the model you are 'fixing' to get the exact difference in parts. Use the parts catalog on shop.evinrude.com or Marineengine.com.

Rick.

Captain

There has been lots of discussion on this topic. Try doing a search and I'm sure you'll get lots of information. Best of luck. Rick.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's nothing other than a carb swap on the newer models. The older ones require different exhaust "horn" as well.

Haffiman

Commander

It's nothing other than a carb swap on the newer models. The older ones require different exhaust "horn" as well.
Not all of them, there are some 'years' with differences in the cylinder blocks. Check out the mod numbers and compare with parts catalogs as a rule.

Newyota

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is considered "newer" years.
Not all of them, there are some 'years' with differences in the cylinder blocks. Check out the mod numbers and compare with parts catalogs as a rule.