8hp Problems...HELP

Blowboat

Recruit
OK...we have a 1986 Yachtwin/Evinrude 8hp with a 25" shaft. The last time the motor was cranked was mid-October the day we bought the boat. It cranked fine, pee'd water find, and seem to work jsut fine.

As we now near having the the boat ready to sail I did a few projects on the motor...changed spark plugs, changed the impeller, changed the anode, changed the lower unit lube, and got fresh ethanol free gas. Tonight I got the motor back on the boat and cranked it! I was very pleased with how quickly it cranked...but there are two issues I need help with.

1) It is not peeing water! I cleaned out the exit point for the water, it did not appear blocked. I disconnected the hose from where it attaches to the motor, no water was coming out there either. How long can I run it without the water peeing? Is it possible that I didn't give it time to prime? Can you prime it/do I need to prime it?
2) There appears to be a fuel leak where the fuel line attaches to the motor. At this point, my first plan is to change out the femail end on the fuel line and see if maybe it seals better. The next step would be to see about changing the male connector on the motor itself. Is that easy or hard? (I honestly didn't look at it...I was frustrated and ready to get home at that point)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am a pastor...not a mechanic. But I believe I can learn and follow directions. The one place locally that works on Evinrudes will not work on one the age of ours. So...

Thanks in advance!

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Change the female end on your gas line. Try your motor in a garbage pail and make sure it's well submerged. Lots of times the motor isn't far enough in the water and it won't pump.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
OK...we have a 1986 Yachtwin/Evinrude 8hp with a 25" shaft. The last time the motor was cranked was mid-October the day we bought the boat. It cranked fine, pee'd water find, and seem to work jsut fine.

As we now near having the the boat ready to sail I did a few projects on the motor...changed spark plugs, changed the impeller, changed the anode, changed the lower unit lube, and got fresh ethanol free gas. Tonight I got the motor back on the boat and cranked it! I was very pleased with how quickly it cranked...but there are two issues I need help with.

1) It is not peeing water! I cleaned out the exit point for the water, it did not appear blocked. I disconnected the hose from where it attaches to the motor, no water was coming out there either. How long can I run it without the water peeing? Is it possible that I didn't give it time to prime? Can you prime it/do I need to prime it?
2) There appears to be a fuel leak where the fuel line attaches to the motor. At this point, my first plan is to change out the femail end on the fuel line and see if maybe it seals better. The next step would be to see about changing the male connector on the motor itself. Is that easy or hard? (I honestly didn't look at it...I was frustrated and ready to get home at that point)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am a pastor...not a mechanic. But I believe I can learn and follow directions. The one place locally that works on Evinrudes will not work on one the age of ours. So...

Thanks in advance!
As suggested replace the fuel hose female end connector but use a genuine Evinrude part.
Inspect the male part but unless obviously damaged it is not likely to be defective.

The water pump must be well submerged when testing in a tank. You know where it is!
No priming is necessary, or even possible AFAIK
Are you sure the impeller drive key is in position?

The problem might be with the grommet at the top of the water tube.
I have an '84 6 hp Yachtwin and that grommet has been such a pain that I have modified the arrangement at the top of the water tube with O rings and custom made nylon spacers. Models differ slightly with year though

With the lower unit off connect a hose to the water tube and see if you can get a water flow. If not then suspect that pesky grommet. Unfortunately the power head has to be taken off to get at it