8hp johnson seahorse stalling

briceoz

Cadet
hi there i just bought what is theoretically a mid 90's 8hp johnson seahorse 2stroke, took it out on the lake today for a test run. and had trouble getting it to idle, or run at low speed, fresh gas, got it warmed up enough eventually to take a run, and it ran quite well at speed, but as soon as i brought it back down to try and troll it would run for maybe 30 seconds and stall, and would then be tricky to start up again, had to have throttle partially on to get it to turn over. modle # is cj8rcob also as i side note i cant make sense of the last two digits in the mo# as they would make it a 45 or 54? wich it most deffinately is not

Last edited:

briceoz

Cadet
Re: 8hp johnson seahorse stalling

wow. almost 100 views and not a bit of advice. :(

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's a 1985 model and it sounds like you need some carb work.

nwcove

Admiral

It's a 1985 model and it sounds like you need some carb work.

^+1. very easy carb to work on.....and if you take that advice ( and you should), be very carefull with the rope start assembly. no need to remove it, just the two 5/16 bolts on top , and gently lift it just enough so that you can tilt it a bit to get at the tiller side carb nut.

briceoz

Cadet

thanks guys. darn wasnt really wanting to buy a motor that old. seems to run really nicely otherwise though. also if anyone is familliar with the motor, whats the knob in the middle for?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

the knob is your slow speed adjustment. if you dismantle and clean the carb you will need to set it up after. if you look in the sticky at the top of the page it tells you how to do that as well as other good information. i had the same problem with my 4hp johnson it would run well at speed and stall if ran at trolling speed. i had a bad fuel pump. but i would start by cleaning the carb and the rebuild kit for yours is around 17 dollars.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats. The info you have been given is is very good. And in my book, that motor made in 85 is better than one made 8-10 years later. Yours is easier to work on. For more ingo go to my article covering & carb/fuel pump rebuilds New Page 1

briceoz

Cadet

so where is the best place to get a hold of a carb kit anyway?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

the carb kit oem number is 0439072 if you google that number you can choose where you want to buy it. it looks like very complete kit with a float included. not all have the floats in the kit. if you have a brp dealer close to you they could provide one for you.

briceoz

Cadet

well did a little work on the motor this morning. turned out that my low speed jet was waaaaaaay to far out. so reset that, motor starts on first pull now and runs much smoother, and lower. but still not all the way down. im going to assume the motor was stored with a bit of fuel in the carb so will need to be cleaned

briceoz

Cadet

any possiblity of this being a fuel pump problem?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

like i said that was my problem. i cleaned and adjusted the carb and it ran better but not as slow as it should. i took an old pump off another motor i had and it started right up and ran really soft like it should. they sell a rebuild kit for your pump for 11 dollars. there is a good omc pump rebuild site i think it is one of leeroys ramblings. if you chose to rebuild read this first and you should be ok.

Last edited:

briceoz

Cadet

would running seafoam through my gas help clean out the fuel pump as well as the carb?

briceoz

Cadet

turns out its an issue with the cdi causing on eof the cylinders to only fire intermittently.

briceoz

Cadet

so the motor has been to the shop and had the cdi replaced. but still runs a little rough. i am thinking of seafoaming it. however i dont know if it has ever been de-carbed before and and a little wary of doing it. suggestions?

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice

the knob is your slow speed adjustment. if you dismantle and clean the carb you will need to set it up after. if you look in the sticky at the top of the page it tells you how to do that as well as other good information. i had the same problem with my 4hp johnson it would run well at speed and stall if ran at trolling speed. i had a bad fuel pump. but i would start by cleaning the carb and the rebuild kit for yours is around 17 dollars.

I also need to reset the slow speed knob but could not figure out what you meant by the sticky at the top of the page tells you how to do it. Could you please point me in the rite direction? Thanks

B1gM1ke

Seaman Apprentice

I also need to reset the slow speed knob but could not figure out what you meant by the sticky at the top of the page tells you how to do it. Could you please point me in the rite direction? Thanks

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
This thread is more than 3 years old. But anyway look at the top secret files it is the first one in this forum.