89 yamaha pro 50 tilt

duke56468

Recruit
The tilt on my 89 yamaha pro 50 stopped working. I can get it to start by tapping the tilt motor. Do I have to pull the engine to get the tilt motor off? Is there a third bolt holding it on? I can get at two but can't tell if there is a third. Will the oil leak out when I pull the motor? How do I restore the oil level? Are there any online exploded views of outboard motors? Thanks<br />Duke

DB.Beachum

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 89 yamaha pro 50 tilt

don't tap it ,you hit it hard enough it will crack the magnets that are glued inside the frame ,..thats's what your beating on.you can get off it buy just removing starboard side transom mount bracket and the bolts attaching the system to the other side,and disconnent the steering,if it is in good shape and the motor needs to be serviced,some auto altenator /start shop can do it,it probably has had alittle water in it and the brushes are stuck, you will lose some fluid when get the trim motor off ,if it is rusted out and all swelled up it might be time for 1

Capt Ken

Commander

If this unit has been used in alot of salt water be careful removing the bolts holding the transom bracket to the pump. They can twist off real easy. It may be easier to swing the engine back from the transom to get to the rear bolt.

duke56468

Recruit

Thanks for the quick replies. DB,are you saying I have to remove the engine transom bracket on the starboard (right) side? This will require supporting the engine somehow i.e. block and tackle. Is that correct? Would it work taking the left bracket off instead? Then it looks like it would slide off the steering shaft.