89 sunbird 19' cc with 130hp merc

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice
Is anyone familiar with the Mercruiser that came in this boat and is it the dreaded abandoned model? Should I be concerned it has recently been overhauled?

gettin'even

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 89 sunbird 19' cc with 130hp merc

Sounds like the 3.0 liter, not the dreaded 470/3.7 liter.

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not gonna be able to put it in the water but I will be able to run the motor. Do you have any tips for what to look for or listen for or check? I plan to see the receipts of the overhaul.

Thanks and I hope I'm not driving you all crazy.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm not gonna be able to put it in the water but I will be able to run the motor. Do you have any tips for what to look for or listen for or check?

Ayuh,... Head right on up to the Adults Only section at the top of this forum,...
Inside there, you'll find a thread titled "Summerization"... Click on it...
It'll give you the basic service run-down of what you wanta Check over...
Thanks and I hope I'm not driving you all crazy.
Nope,... Not yet, give it time...:D

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... Head right on up to the Adults Only section at the top of this forum,...
Inside there, you'll find a thread titled "Summerization"... Click on it...
It'll give you the basic service run-down of what you wanta Check over...

Nope,... Not yet, give it time...:D

Lol. My good man!

zbnutcase

Commander

Was it the engine or drive that was overhauled? A poorly done job on either could spell disaster on your wallet. 'nutcase

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I know you guys may not agree but I think I'm going with the 89' Capri. I don't want to spend a lifetime looking. I'd like to do some boating. I like the look of it, it runs, it's on a dependable trailer, and is within my budget. I plan on doing a compression check, confirming shift and stering cable operation, confirm outdrive operation and checking for dryrot anywhere I can. Does anyone know where I could get hold of a service manual for this boat and OMC motor? It'd be nice to look it over before I get there.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Well, I know you guys may not agree but I think I'm going with the 89' Capri. I don't want to spend a lifetime looking. I'd like to do some boating.

Ayuh,.... So,.. I guess you'd rather Work on a boat,+ Try to find parts for it,...
Rather than go Boatin',..??
Does anyone know where I could get hold of a service manual for this boat and OMC motor?

What part of, "There's Little to No support for them" didn't you understand...
Your choices are Used, or Aftermarket,... And Both are lacking...