89 Sea Ray Power Steering Question

Gierhedd75

Cadet
Hi everyone. Hoping someone can help me out with this one. I've got an 89 Sea Ray 180br w/ a Mercury 135 ob out back. The hydraulic steering on it is leaking at both end seals at the back. Can I replace the seals without having to replace the whole unit? It looks like the end caps may thread right off, but not sure. Second part to that is how do I remove the assembly? I removed the nuts on either side, but that was as far as I got. I'm not too sure where to go from there. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 89 Sea Ray Power Steering Question

MorseSteering.JPGDoes it look like this picture (Morse steering on my Sea Ray 160 with Mercury 115)?

Gierhedd75

Cadet

Hi. Thanks for the response. Yes. It is similar. The seals I am referring to are in those end caps of the cylinder that slide along that arm. Actually, I went through a pile of stuff that the previous owner had dumped in the boat when I got her; and lo and behold, there's the original owner's manual for the boat, one for the motor, and a manual/pamphlet for the steering system. It's a Teleflex setup. Has an exploded view of the single and dual motor setup, bleeding and filling procedures, but nothing on replacement or dis-assembly of components. Any idea if those seals can be replaced separately?

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine is a Morse C-3000 unit (bought by Teleflex at some time). I checked around for rebuild kits/seals in case it started to leak, but never found any and also didn't get any responses on the forum. Entirely possible that once disassembled and you find the leaking components they are a standard size and can be replaced. As long as the shaft is smooth and won't affect the new seals. To get it off you have to remove the nuts at each end of hydraulic arm then at least one nut at end of the pivot tube. Be very carefull reinstalling them that you don't cross thread of damage the threaded portion. I did and had a heck of a time rethreading it. I don't know how the cylinder comes apart but it looks simple once you get into it. You might also be able to take it to a hydraulic shop and get it refurbished there for not too much.

Post how it turns out!

Gierhedd75

Cadet

View attachment 116044
Thanks. I managed to get the ends off with the aid of some propane, a gear puller (I know.....haha) and a good drenching of PB. They were completely gunked on there. Gonna see if if maybe a spanner will get the ends off later. It's a monsoon out right now. I'll keep you guys updated ob how it turns out. Thanks again folks.

Gierhedd75

Cadet

View attachment 116064 Just a quick update: The downpour stopped and the sun came out so I figured I'd give it a go. Soaking in the PB must've done the trick as I was able to get everything off with relative ease. The end caps on the pivot tube, as I have found are actually called seal glands. They are absolutely replaceable. Teleflex makes replacement seal kits for these, and there's the option of with or without the pinned wrench for an extra $10. I build AR's so I already have a few wrenches sitting around. They also make kits for the ends fitted with snap rings if anyone's interested.The downside is they're dang expensive for what they are. I wasn't able to find the rubber seals by themselves. The part number for the kit is HS5157 (w/ wrench), and HS5167 (w/o). And (drumroll) they're available here on iboats. However, you can google the part number, and shop around. I ordered from a place called Mavik Marine for $75 + shipping. View attachment 116063 Thanks again for the input, guys.