89 omc cobra 5.0 and 5.0 HO firing order

flacooks

Recruit
I recently tried to replace the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Then before I could reassemble it, I lost the wire placement and order. Also when the engine is at Top Dead Center which cylinder should be firing? Thanks in advance.

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89 omc cobra 5.0 and 5.0 HO firing order

According to my 1994 Clymer manual for the Volvo Penta (OMC) 5.0, starting from the bottom left facing the engine going counter clockwise...<br /><br />1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8<br /><br />1 being approximately 7-o'clock.<br /><br />Be sure you have the Ford 302 and not the Chevy 305, as they are both 5.0.

go-fishing

Cadet

Chris,<br /><br />I must be dense but I can't figure out how you mapped numbers onto spark plugs. ( got the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 order and that number 1 on the distributor is at about 7 O'clock) but I can't follow your cylinder numbering.<br /><br />Do I have this right for a Ford 302 (circa ''79)?<br /><br />Facing the water pump (facing aft,) #1 is nearest left (Foremost Stbd,) then #2 is nearest right (Foremost Port,) and continuing with the odds on the left (Stbd) and the evens on the right (Port) so it looks like:<br />---Fwd<br />--Pulley<br />2-----------1<br />4-----------3<br />6-----------5<br />8-----------7<br />Flywheel<br />----Aft<br /><br />and the number 1 is at 7 O'clock on the distributor, looking down from the Fwd end. or:<br />---- Fwd<br />------ 8<br />--- 7--- 1<br />- 6------- 2<br />--- 5--- 3<br />------ 4<br />----- Aft<br /><br />So, if I got that part right, from the point of view of the distributor, the wires go in this order:<br />--- Fwd<br />-- Pulley<br />4-----------1<br />7-----------2<br />5-----------6<br />8-----------3<br />Flywheel<br />--- Aft<br /><br />Is this right?<br /><br />What about other Ford based engines, do they use the scheme ????

QuadDriver

Cadet

hold a sec, ford numbers the holes different!<br /><br />facing the front pully, the left side of the engine, front to back is 1-2-3-4 and the right side front to back is 5-6-7-8<br /><br />makes a BIG difference!!!

go-fishing

Cadet

Many thanks to the Alaska River Rat (akriverrat) and Ed Graffius.<br /><br />I didn’t know about marinemechanic.com and I’m sure that I’ll find it very useful.<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />-------------------------<br />As a marine mechanic, I’m a pretty good carpenter.