89 merc100hp oil warning alarm

gsmith39

Cadet
I have a oil tank problem or a module problem. I have replaced the sensor and it did not stop the warning alarm to shut off. The only other suggestion i have found was to turn the tank up side down to test the float sensor in the tank. IS there a better test to check the tank? And how do you check the module for problems?<br /><br />I apppreciate any suggestion.

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89 merc100hp oil warning alarm

99% likelyhood that it is the float in tank. Mercs have had this problem since day one. They don't seem interested in fixing this problem. They have a plastic float in tank which has a magnet glued to the bottom. When the float falls below minimum level, a sensor probe in bottom of tank senses the magnet and makes alarm sound. The oil will eventually dissolve the glue and the magnet will fall to bottom of tank. Very rarely the sensor will go bad but usually it is float magnet.<br />Bob

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dissconnect the tank sensor, if the alarm stops its most likly a sensor, if not its most likly a bad module. both have a very high failure rate.

gsmith39

Cadet

thanks for the reply Bob, I removed the tank and drained the oil out and in the process I found a peice of tin foil from an oil bottle in the tank. I removed it an decided to put it back in, an refill with oil. And sure enough the alarm went away. It was back to the regular start up alarm when you turn the key. Now i wonder if I should be concerned about the sensor i just replaced before. could the foil shorted it too? or when you start the motor and it beeps, is it telling me that everything is functioning properly?

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

The foil would have no effect on the sensor. I'd say you're good to go.<br />Bob