89 Mariner 90hp 3 cyl Tilt/Trim assy - parts stuck

tblentrprz

Cadet
Greetings,<br />Trim/Tilt does not hold motor up/out. Originally no external oil leaks apparent. Recently external leak showing on tilt rod seal and port trim rod seal. Tilt guide scraper rotted away. Tilt guide was stuck in cylinder housing. Tried WD40 and another penetrating spray to free up without success. It required minor heat and 2ft long leverage to rotate. Noticed minor corrosion in top 2 threads of cylinder housing. What do you recommend to break corroded aluminum parts? Rod/piston came out no problem. The inner cup(deepest item in exploded diagram above oring) is stuck in cylinder. I used an allen wrench in the hex opening in the center nipple of the inner cup to try and rotate the cup without success. I tried 100psi of compressed air blowing thru the nipple to blow the cup out, didn't move. Tried using a PVC pipe and gently tap the cup back in some, no luck. What's it going to take to get the cup out and finish resealing this tilt cylinder? At this time I have not been successful rotating the trim sylinder guide. I haven't yet tried some heat. Looking forward to your suggestion on dealing with corroded aluminum parts and get your input before I proceed. <br /><br />Looking forward to your reply.

tblentrprz

Cadet
Re: 89 Mariner 90hp 3 cyl Tilt/Trim assy - parts stuck

Got the tilt piston out and trim cylinders disassembled.<br /><br />Stuck Tilt inner piston - Backed out the manual relief valve more (using 9/16" socket since slot was not strong enough) and was able to get the tilt piston to move inward some and learned that the nipple was not part of the piston. It is part of the cylinder. Exploded diagram did show this. Had to reduce the flange diameter on the manual relief valve by 1/8" so I could completely remove it through the cast opening on the right engine bracket. (bracket hole casting too small). With the valve removed, used compressed air to blow piston out.<br /><br />Stuck trim guides/caps - Large spanner I made basically stripped out the spanner holes in the trim caps. Used some heat and a pin punch to rattle the trim caps free from the cylinders and then spanner to remove them.<br /><br />Seals are old, hard, and should solve th problem.<br /><br />Now waitin on parts. The scraper (outer seal on shaft) for the tilt cylinder was missin from the seal kit. Supplier ordered another kit to get me the scraper. New kit arrived without the scraper. Mercury is not putting the tilt scraper in the tilt O ring kit # 25-41478A 1.<br /><br />Hope this helps someone in the future.