'89 Johnson 70 water pump questions

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
J70TLCEM I've go my new pump(#0432955) and a factory service manual. The manual describes removing a 5/8" countersunk screw using a thin wall socket but does not provide a torque range for re-installation. Can anyone provide me with the correct value? Also, should the shift-rod be in neutral? The manual doesn't say. this is my first time replacing the waterpump and I am going to be working without a helper. How heavy is the lower-unit going to be? I've searched "lower unit removal" and "water pump" and read all the threads. It appears the most challenging hurdle for most folks is re-installing the L.U. and re-connecting the shift-rod. As I understand it, I need to ensure that the drive shaft engages into the crankshaft, the water tube into a copper feed-tube(w/o damaging it), and the shift-rod through a small opening in the pan. It sounds very awkward and I would appreciate any advice.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: '89 Johnson 70 water pump questions

mmmm you got it on the reassembly. its awkward a bit but once ya do a few hundred its simple :) .<br /> on the pump I cant think of any 5/8ths screws other than the one holding the case to the mid-section just fwd of the trim tab and nost any socket will work on that one. if you buy the BRP kit it may have a few parts to change on the head/t-stat area. I cant remember when they changed the pump assy. but it will have instructions so its ok.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Rodbolt,
I cant think of any 5/8ths screws other than the one holding the case to the mid-section
That's the one. Can you suggest a torque value or shall I try and do it by feel? The manual doesn't say. As to the shift-rod, shall I put it in fwd, neu, or rev? Again, the factory manual doesn't say.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I found the 5/8 bolt in my Seloc manual. It told me to check the appendix for torque values but it did not give me anything larger than 7/16. However, there may be a pattern: In ft/lbs, a 5/16 bolt is torqued to 10-12, 3/8 bolt torqued to 18-20 and a 7/16 gets torqued to 28-30.<br /><br />If I continue with that thinking, a 1/2 bolt will be torqued to 38-40, and a 9/16 to 48-50. I hope this will at least get you in the ball park. <br /><br />My manual does not say the shift rod should be anywhere but neutral. That is where I would start.<br /><br />Hope this has helped, I do not know the weight.<br />John

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for that, Another torque related question; The 4 bolts securing the lower unit are so close to the housing that my torque wrench(head) can't be positioned underneath them for tightening. Shall I use a "crows-foot" adapter, a wobbler(u-joint) adapter, or simply tighten by feel.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I use the feel method. the 5/8ths is the hex size. the bolt is actually 7/16th. you will find most crow foot adapters dont fit either.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you really want to get the torque correct, use the u-joint adapter. If you are comfortable without the correct torque - go by feel. Personally, I would go with the u-joint. It's simple, it works, everyone has one, and then you get what you wanted - the correct torque.<br /><br />John

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your thoughts on this, I don't have confidence that I could get close by feel alone. Unlike Rodbolt, I simply haven't turned enough wrenches to develop that skill. Further, there is another complication that puzzles me. The manual states that the 4 g.c. retaining bolts are 7/16" yet mine are 9/16"(socket size). As the original owner I'm unaware of ever having had them replaced(with oversize). I suppose a tech may have broken and replaced them(all four?) but there is no record of it in any of my work orders. Mysterious.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Lowranger, my manual says they are 9/16 socket size, so you are ok - no unknown repairs.<br /><br />John

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK Yingling-j, I'm happy I've got the correct bolts but somewhat puzzled that the FACTORY MANUAL is in apparent error. I have to wonder what else may be incorrect.
If I continue with that thinking, a 1/2 bolt will be torqued to 38-40, and a 9/16 to 48-50. I hope this will at least get you in the ball park. <br />
Since the torque values in my manual are for a 7/16" I will follow your lead and shoot for 48-50, unless someone chimes in with other advice. My torque-wrench is an old 1/2" drive Craftsmen beam type. If anyone thinks this wrench is a bad idea, please speak up.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The manual must be wrong. I have the same exact motor. I just ran out and checked and they definately are 9/16. Your wrench will be fine.<br /><br />John

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Yingling-j, I'll give this a try.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks you guys the job is done, A re-cap; I saw right away that my 1/2" beam-type torque wrench would not help me. After a 1/2">3/8" adapter and a swivel adapter I was beyond even a 90° angle (anti-cavitation plate interference). So I labeled and indexed the bolts to ensure I would be close on the re-installation. I was most nervous about frozen bolts and the re-installation of the gearcase. Well, the bolts were all well coated with OMC gasket adhesive and the gear case went back on with ease. The shift-linkage re-positione itself w/o any help from me. I think the "hitch-pin" arrangement makes it easy. Mild surprises; 1) inner exhaust boot stuck in the midsection on dis-assembly, 2) impeller was stuck on shaft but pried off easily with PB Blaster and a little patience, 3) lowering the housing/impeller over the the impeller key(woodruff ?) required more downward force than I expected. I used the heals of my hands and pressure to seat it. As someone else on this board said, I "sweated bullets", but it was worth it. I hope my experience will encourage others.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great, now I will have to do mine soon. How heavy did the lower unit end up being and how did you hold it up?<br /><br />John

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Yingling-j, It was lighter than I thought it would be. Maybe 25#-35#. I used a motorcycle tie-down strap and kept my hip on the skeg for double insurance. A great piece of advice I gleaned from this site was to use a Black and Decker Workmate to securely hold the gearcase.
IMG_2136.sized.jpg
. It kept the unit at the perfect height to perform the operation. If you ever thought you'd like to buy one now is the time. If I can be of any assistance I'll be happy to try and help.