89 johnson 28hp spl pops out of gear searched

teglovinvtec

Cadet
1989 johnson 28hp spl longshaft in fresh water only so the other day on my way back from a day of fishing and catching nothing my motor was running great and we were heading in and then it just reved up and woulndnt go into gear until i slowed down to a 1/4 throttle or less. its doing the same thing in forward and reverse. so i pulled to lower unit off and looked at the fingers on the clutch dog everything looked great. there were no metal shavings on the magnet either. so then i inspected the shift rod and also where it connects nothing seems bent.

put it all back together and ran it in my test bucket everything worked. headed down to the lake and it was doing the same thing when it was under load.

i know i didnt hit anything and ive had the boat out about 20 times before this happend this year not sure what to do. but the clutch dog looked great as well as the forward,reverse, and gears on the shaft that goes from the powerhead to the lower unit.

ive tried ajust shift cable didnt seem to help. please help me out its been a couple days and i need to be back on my boat.

is it possible the shift rod connecter could be slightly bent since its only brass???

please give me any info you have.

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 89 johnson 28hp spl pops out of gear searched

Sounds to me like the prop hub is spun. Meaning, the prop has separated from the hub. I would put another prop on it. Sounds exactly like what my buddys 28SPL did to him when he was in the middle of the lake. With little load, it would work fine but the minute he put any load on it at all it would just rev and do nothing else.

Also, is it actually popping out of gear, meaning the selector lever is moving back to neutral, or is it just revving out and not going anywhere?

To me, it sounds like a spun prop hub. But if its actually popping out of gear, it would be a different issue entirely.

teglovinvtec

Cadet

the lever for gear is in the same position from when it pops out meaning its not moving into nuetral when it does it.

ill put a mark on the back of the prop and hub on the backside then ill try it and see if the mark still lines up. thanks for ur info.

cr9c1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If its not popping out, and the gearshift lever is in the same position before and after the event, I would say its definitely spun the prop hub. I'd be curious to find out, let me know what you find.

teglovinvtec

Cadet

spun hub on prop was the cause 85 bucks and im back in the water yay thanks guys