'89 J60TLCEA Has this carb been modified? Pics

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was time to go thru them again, this time with an ultrasonic cleaner and an OEM rebuild kit. The plug on the left looks like it's missing, and there are marks around the plug seat that look like it's been drilled out. The kit has enough plugs of the right size to put this in. The OEM manual shows nothing of the carb body inverted like this, so I don't have a reference. The BRP fiche actually shows the upper portion of these passages having plugs as well, mine have stainless screens installed and staked in. I have had problems with these carbs for a long time, just can't get it to idle right. Did the previous owner mod these? I sure could use some help here. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Attachments

• photo223380.JPG
    photo223380.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo223382.JPG
    photo223382.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does that hole on the left go to atmoshere ?---Is it a vent ?-----You must understand that the fuel in the bowl has to have atmospheric pressure on it .---Without that pressure the carburetor would not work !!------In short I think it all looks they way it should be.-----What other steps have you taken to trouble shoot the motor?----It is not always the carburetion / fuel that is at fault !

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
The open hole does go to the atmosphere thru a screened vent on top of the carb body. This thing runs like a scalded cat, but I need to low speed maneuver around pilings and bridges, I've never gotten it quite right, because I've never gone through these carbs like they should have been. I've just kept cleaning them. I finally have a tach and timing light for final sync. I hope this is the last time through these.