89' GT100 won't start

Geauxfish

Cadet
Was starting fine all day, never a problem. Then attempted to start and it sounded as if the starter was hanging up or bendix was not strong enough to turn flywheel. After 3rd attempt w/ WOT it started. Ran fine, stopped and turned off motor with key. Tried to start again and this time, the bendix would hardly engage. On 2nd attempt, nothing at all; no noise from starter or anything. Tried a few more times nothing. Swapped batteries, still nothing. Cut some anchor line and wrapped around flywheel and started up on the first pull. So where should I look first? Batteries are good. Thanks in advance.

darrklim2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 89' GT100 won't start

Is the starter engaging the flywheel and just not turning it? Or is it not engaging at all? And your sure that both batteries are fully charged. Sounds to me like a weak battery. The brushes in the starter could be bad but normally they would show signs of that before just not working. :confused:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

It sounds like the starter brushes are going out. If you try jumping directly to the starter from a known good battery, you can effectively eliminate the rest of the parts in the system as causes. Be sure you don't have any fuel leaks as you'll be arcing & sparking...

- Scott

Geauxfish

Cadet

Starter wanted to engage the flywheel a few times and would pop up but once it did engage w/ flywheel would not rotate flywheel. After trying to turn engine w/ key, the starter did nothing, there was no clicking sound or anything. Batteries are fully charged and fuel is not the issue.
Question: The solenoid has a red lever the can be rotted 180degrees which way should it be pointing?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Your battery may be good, but the cables and connections sound poor. Polish all connections at both the starter and battery, if un too old replace, and try replacing cables, they rot from the inside out .

Geauxfish

Cadet

Thanks Chine and darr, I'm thinking starter bushings myself. I SHOULD probably check battery cables High, just to be safe. Thanks again yall, I'll post my results.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Im betting on the starter,been a while,dont know where,but you can buy the brush cup and you will likely be ok,you might pull it apart and just clean it up,but if the brushes are worn change em

Geauxfish

Cadet

I did that to my buddies dad's 95'Merc 60hp in the parking lot of WallyWorld at 4 in the morning. Pulled the starter opened it up and cleaned the springs and brushes. Was back in the water by 6am. You got to love their return policy, I bought a $75 tool set that night and returned it an hour later.

Geauxfish

Cadet

I finally got a chance to test the solenoid, ran jumper wire from solenoid to starter, starter tried to engage but seemed weak, battery terminals where hot when I disconnected them as was the starter. I pulled the starter off and hope to take apart tonight and inspect and rebuild if necessary. Will post results of what I find? Can we add photos to our thread?

Geauxfish

Cadet

Changed the springs and brushings, no luck. When I turned the key a load POP came from somewhere on the motor. It did attempt to start but was hesitant. While trying to raise and lower trim which works fine I heard a relay click then trim stopped working. Could this be the beginning of the end for my GT100? My multi-meter is shot so can't test relays for continuity. If starter, starter solenoid and relays are all good, where else should I look? All wiring from batt to solenoid to starter is good.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

When you turned the key and heard he POP - were the battery cables by any chance hooked up backwards? The trim going out and the other pop together make me think something got shorted somewhere... Recheck all cables at the motor end for good contact, including cables running to and from the solenoid. Also, when you replaced the brushes, did your kit have the post that comes through the side of the starter housing? If so, is there any chance that post is causing a dead short to the housing?

FYI, the little cylinder with the red lever is NOT the solenoid for the starter - it's the primer for the carburetors. Lever should point straight to the base of the primer, not sideways...
- Scott

Geauxfish

Cadet

Batteries were all conected correctly. Brushing kit did have the post that goes through the housing. Replaced that post. I've always wondered about that red switch on the primer and which way it SHOULD be pointing. The starter still wants to try and turn just seems very very weak. I've greased the bendix shaft so it's not hanging up. Not having a properly working multi-meter is really a pain in the aRs!