89 force tilt problem

rslatz

Cadet
Clanton , I used the seals on the valve body needle that you suggested previously the Briggs & stratton needle seal.Still leaking down slowly.Are the caps that hold the needle & spring suppose to be seated all the way tight to the o-ring.Also another problem came about , tilting down it wants to kinda jump down . What is the best fluid to use Clmers says non detergent 10-30 , but I know you said to use ATF . Any help from anyone would be appreciated.I have to get it done 2 weeks till the keys trip. thanks

kannuki

Seaman
Re: 89 force tilt problem

walmart sells tilt/trim fluid for like 1.40 a tube

rslatz

Cadet

I know Walmart has the trim fluid, but the manual says 10-30w oil.I'm really needing to find out about the end caps are suppose to be seated all the way down to the o-ring.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Can't help you with the o-rings.<br /><br />Some of the Force t/t units do recommend using the oil. Thats what I use. I know some people have switched to t/t fluid, or power steering fluid.<br /><br />I have never heard a reason why the recommend oil, but they do, so thats what I use.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The valve body has a lip inside that only lets the cap go in so far, o-ring will not be tight. The inside hole in the seal has a small bevel, the bevel should go toward the needle. Insure the shuttle valve o-ring is good and the valve moves smooth. I only use the Merc part number for a seal, it looks a little thicker, but I have had good results with the other seals, whan I cant get the Merc seal. Sometimes the pivot tube is dirty and too tight. The rubber bushing in the end of the shock and tilt cylinder will corrode and cause engine to jerk when moving. Every thing that is connected should be clean and greased. I use the ATF, because its everywhere, cheap, and easy on the seals. I have one Force manual that says to use 20 wt.

rslatz

Cadet

Thank you Clanton.I'm going to go pull it back apart right now & look at it again.When I opened one side last time the back valve was already apart.Are those Mercury seals easy to get.820719 is that the right # ?

rslatz

Cadet

The shuttle valve moves freely & the o-ring still looks good.It quite jerking after it leaked down overnight.It must of still had air.I had a mechanic already go through the whole system and put all new seals.Except the needle seals that he said he couldn't find.So, still leaks down $150.00 later.The Briggs seals slowed it down ,but not all the way.Like I said it took overnight & it leaked about 3/4 the way down.I'll wait for your reply to verify the Merc # to see if I can order before I hook all the lines up.

clanton

Rear Admiral

That is the correct Merc number, but recheck with dealer. It is possible that the seat inside the cap is worn or pitted, check the seat. I just used my 2 last seals. The cap should be a pressed fit inside valve. You can find new o-ring for shuttle valve in an old style GM AC o-ring kit. The shuttle valve must work smooth, because it opens and closes the check valves, if it hangs, you will still have leak down.

rslatz

Cadet

Big thanks to Clanton . The tilt & trim seems to be fixed .I've been real busy getting ready for Keys trip.Sorry didn't thank you sooner .I changed the o-ring on the shuttle valve & why I was at it replaced the ones on the pilot valves that he supposely replaced all of them.Been tilted up for 2 weeks and has not leaked down a bit.And still using the Briggs seals.If there is anything you need to know about home repair or construction let me know I sure would do my best to answer it to return the favor .rslatz1@yahoo.com Thanks again for being so helpful.